General Tech Ask model specific questions in the appropriate category below. All other general questions within.

what special tools do i need to take apart motor?

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2012, 12:01 AM
3rd Gear Member

Default what special tools do i need to take apart motor?

not the whole engine.
just from the air filter down to the block.
95 5.0 if it matters.
i have regular tools. wrenches, screwdrivers, etc.
im guessing a torque wrench for starters
anything else im going to need?

i may get crazy and try and replace the cam, and i would imagine i need a gear puller
Old 03-06-2012, 04:15 PM
3rd Gear Member

ok, so i need some torx bits. i didnt count those under normal tools. i do have a couple, but not the right size.
damn
Old 03-07-2012, 04:36 AM
petrock
4th Gear Member

Gasket scraper to scrap any gaskets off any surfaces, in/lbs & ft/lbs torque wrenches to torque things down properly during install, digital camera to take photos of the motor as you tear it down so you have a visual aid to help put it back together the same way, penetrating lube for any stubborn/rusted nuts/bolts and most important of all the Factory Service Manual for your year/model ride to show you how to do it. Avoid the Haynes & Chiltons manuals. They are just Cliff-Notes.

Good luck...
Old 03-07-2012, 07:08 AM
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by petrock
Gasket scraper to scrap any gaskets off any surfaces, in/lbs & ft/lbs torque wrenches to torque things down properly during install, digital camera to take photos of the motor as you tear it down so you have a visual aid to help put it back together the same way, penetrating lube for any stubborn/rusted nuts/bolts and most important of all the Factory Service Manual for your year/model ride to show you how to do it. Avoid the Haynes & Chiltons manuals. They are just Cliff-Notes.

Good luck...
thanks
have the scraper (well, i have A scraper), was planning to pick up torque wrenches today when i pick up the torx bits, been using my phone to take pics before and after labeling wire and hose connections with tape and sharpie, have wd-40 (sufficient?). i already have the haynes manual from way back (i think i picked it up in '97 or so), were they not as good back then too, or is that a newer trend?

i was wondering if theres some type of assembly lube i might need.

thanks again
Old 03-08-2012, 01:53 AM
petrock
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by 9550
have wd-40 (sufficient?).
No. Get a can of penetrating lube from your local auto parts store.

i already have the haynes manual from way back (i think i picked it up in '97 or so), were they not as good back then too, or is that a newer trend?
Haynes manuals, and the like, have never been in-depth manuals. They have always been more of a summary. They also cover multiple years. While some things don't change from year to year, there is always something. Factory Services manuals go into a great amount of detail and are year specific. They may be a bit pricey, but they will pay for themselves te first time you use them.

i was wondering if theres some type of assembly lube i might need.
It all depends on how far you tear it down. All of this would be covered in the factory service manual, btw. It will tell you if you need lube and even list any specialty tools you may need.
Old 03-08-2012, 02:34 AM
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by petrock
No. Get a can of penetrating lube from your local auto parts store.

Haynes manuals, and the like, have never been in-depth manuals. They have always been more of a summary. They also cover multiple years. While some things don't change from year to year, there is always something. Factory Services manuals go into a great amount of detail and are year specific. They may be a bit pricey, but they will pay for themselves te first time you use them.

It all depends on how far you tear it down. All of this would be covered in the factory service manual, btw. It will tell you if you need lube and even list any specialty tools you may need.
thanks
to be honest, i probably wont pick up the factory manual. im sure if i had it, i would still have questions, and would have to ask here anyway. i see that it might save me some questions, but still. also, im going to feel much more comfortable working out something with people that have done it than i would reading a book and hoping to get it right.
i will think about it though.

i will pick up some penetrating lube however
Old 03-12-2012, 09:48 PM
Matt's 95 Stang
Resident Ginger

You could probably use a power steering pulley puller. Got one from Autozone for 20-30 bucks and use it alot.

Matthew
Old 03-13-2012, 02:24 AM
Dub's
1st Gear Member

When I do such work on the car. I always seem to be running to a Ace Hardware or Autozone. Can never have them all. =/
Old 03-14-2012, 03:47 AM
petrock
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Matt's 95 Stang
You could probably use a power steering pulley puller. Got one from Autozone for 20-30 bucks and use it alot.
What other use have you found for a power steering pulley puller, other then pulling power steering pulleys? Either way, your right in that he'll need one. But i would rent one from AutoZone instead of buying one.