General Tech Ask model specific questions in the appropriate category below. All other general questions within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

How much leakage to expect from the from the A/C evaporation?

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2012, 04:46 AM
a_page06

Default How much leakage to expect from the from the A/C evaporation?

Today I noticed a decent amount of water dripping off of the front of the exhaust; it seemed to be towards the back of the engine bay area on the passenger's side. It was pitch black when I got home, so I couldn't really see in the engine bay or underneath where it was coming from. I didn't notice any significant degree of missing coolant, but like I said it was dark. The dripping started at a decent pace and just slowed up from there.

Upon a few google searches/forum post reading later, I saw others having a similar problem noting that this could be not a problem at all, but rather the evaporation from the A/C draining. I live in a fairly hot part of the country and went out to drive for about 30-45 minutes after work and had the A/C on the whole time. I'm just curious if this is a leak (problem) or drainage of condensation on the A/C. How much should I expect to be drained off the A/C when I'm using it fairly heavily for a decent amount of time?
Old 04-18-2012, 07:48 PM
stevednmc
3rd Gear Member

Sounds like its just water coming from the condensation line under neath. It can be quite alot really depending on humidity. The A/C not only cools the air, but removes moisture from it as well, thereby causing the water to drip, all A/C's do this, whether home or vehicle etc. If your really worried about it, let it idle for about 15 minutes on a hot day with the A/c on, then touch the puddle...itll be nothin but water. If it has a slickness or color to it then you have another leak.

LAst summer I let my work van idle for an hour, I put a gallon jug underneath the line and let it go, It filled up the jug a little better than halfway! IT gets humid here in the plains in summer. And florida is worse!
Old 04-18-2012, 09:42 PM
Boss_Hotrod
5th Gear Member

Just condensation unless its green. R134a will evaporate as soon as it hits air. No way to see a puddle of it. The a/c oil can be clear (or bright neon green) but it wont evaporate off the ground, not to mention if its dropping as much as you say the compressor would have locked up by now.
Old 04-19-2012, 03:18 AM
a_page06

I'll have to check it out a little more; its a bit inconvenient getting off work in the middle of the night/trying to fix this ****...but that's good to know. But glad to know that its natural to see this much leakage! It is definitely wicked humid here, not something I'm used to I guess. Appreciate the replies!