General Tech Ask model specific questions in the appropriate category below. All other general questions within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Violent Shaking in 1st gear- 2012 Mustang GT

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2012, 04:20 PM
johnk146

Default Violent Shaking in 1st gear- 2012 Mustang GT

Hey guys since about last year September I became the proud owner of a 2012 Mustang GT. It only has about 7900 miles on it currently, but I've been experiencing a worrisome problem.

When I attempt to accelerate quickly in 1st gear (hitting around 4000rpm), a violent shaking occurs accompanied by a loud banging sound, which reminds me of the sound a garbage truck makes when it unloads a dumpster.

It also occurs in 2nd gear as well, although less frequently, and I really have to floor it to reproduce the issue.

I confirmed this as an issue that I could reproduce only just today. However, I have experienced this shaking earlier on in the past, back when the car was new, which I had chalked up to me hitting a pothole, so it isn't because I've been driving it improperly. I never race or recklessly speed with my vehicle which explains why it took me so long to find out about it. The only reason I found out about it today is because I had to merge quickly onto a high-speed freeway.

What do you think is going on? And is it a problem that will worsen over time?

I'm going to take it in to have it checked at my dealer for the weekend but I'm a bit worried because it's an issue that only occurs in a "racing-like" scenario which may void any warranty repair.

Thanks for your time! Long time lurker here and glad to be posting
Old 04-26-2012, 07:29 PM
craig71springsport
2nd Gear Member

Is it automatic or stick? Could be with your clutch. Take off/first couple gear shifts are full of torque to get all that weight up to speed, more so than in 3rd-6th. Maybe rear end too. Who knows.

There's two ways this can go with your warranty. Either they'll buy your story of driving it normal and accept that it was a faulty product from factory. Or they're going to call you a liar and say you f**ked yourself.

Can't they get telemetry readings off of newer cars' CPUs now anyway? If they can, they'll know the truth soon enough.
Old 04-26-2012, 08:24 PM
johnk146

It's a stick. Can you explain to me how the clutch would be the issue?
Old 04-28-2012, 11:05 AM
craig71springsport
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by johnk146
It was just a thought. The clutch is pretty much the middle man for taking power from your engine to the rest of your car. If you're having problems with taking off or getting on it, I would think the clutch could be an issue.
Old 04-28-2012, 05:24 PM
Old Mustanger
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by johnk146
Doesn't sound like a clutch issue to me.

The noise you are describing sounds like it could be a broken engine or trans mount, when you torque on it the engine/trans lifts and hits the floor/trans tunnel. The off balance shaking could be the change in driveshaft geometry as the trans lifts. The vibration would probably not be that bad through.

Or it could be the exhaust hitting the floor boards under high torque conditions, but this doesn't explain the shaking/vibration.

Or maybe something in the rearend is loose. High torque conditions could really torque up a rear end, the excessive pinion angle would make a pretty bad vibration, and the rearend, driveshaft or pinion housing could be hitting the floor. That could do what you describe.

Whatever it is, hopefully it left a mark so it will be easy to fund.

Ford should not have an issue as long as the problem is within normal operating conditions which is below redline. Those are normal operating parameters that the vehicle is designed for.

Good luck.

Last edited by Old Mustanger; 04-28-2012 at 05:36 PM. Reason: correction
Old 04-28-2012, 11:28 PM
craig71springsport
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Old Mustanger
Doesn't sound like a clutch issue to me.

The noise you are describing sounds like it could be a broken engine or trans mount, when you torque on it the engine/trans lifts and hits the floor/trans tunnel. The off balance shaking could be the change in driveshaft geometry as the trans lifts. The vibration would probably not be that bad through.

Or it could be the exhaust hitting the floor boards under high torque conditions, but this doesn't explain the shaking/vibration.

Or maybe something in the rearend is loose. High torque conditions could really torque up a rear end, the excessive pinion angle would make a pretty bad vibration, and the rearend, driveshaft or pinion housing could be hitting the floor. That could do what you describe.

Whatever it is, hopefully it left a mark so it will be easy to fund.

Ford should not have an issue as long as the problem is within normal operating conditions which is below redline. Those are normal operating parameters that the vehicle is designed for.

Good luck.
I was thinking about this thread and mounts came across my mind as well...you got it covered though

Read your sig, feel really sorry that stang got stolen from you...that must've sucked hard.