General Tech Ask model specific questions in the appropriate category below. All other general questions within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Windshield glass differences - Safelite vs. Ford factory

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-2005, 07:54 PM
My05GT
1st Gear Member

Default Windshield glass differences - Safelite vs. Ford factory

Unfortunately I need to replace the windshield on my brand new 05 GT - Sucks! Some trucker doin' 80mph in the other direction launched a rock at me and hit the windshield driver's side.

So my question is, what's the difference between letting someone like Safelite (aftermarket from what I'm told) vs. getting a genuine Ford replacement? Is there differences in the glass or is it just the installers for aftermarket ones are just not as good?

Thanks...supposed to get it replaced tomorrow by Safelite, but I'm not sure now after talking with a couple of glass places.
Old 09-19-2005, 08:09 PM
SMR012

Default RE: Windshield glass differences - Safelite vs. Ford factory

I have alot of experience with Auto Glass and I would go with an OE manufacturer. Safelite can also provide you with an OE product in addition to their own product. You need to request OE to get it.
Old 09-19-2005, 08:14 PM
My05GT
1st Gear Member

Thanks!

Who makes the Ford OE glass? I'll call Safelite and ask for OE glass, jsut want to know who makes it so I know that I am getting the real thing.
Old 09-19-2005, 08:24 PM
SMR012

Ford actually makes the majority of their own glass. Their are 1 or 2 pieces that other manufacturers make for Ford with the Ford insignia but not for the Mustang. Keep in mind that if you don't get the Ford brand you may not get the Pony emblem that is above your mirror if your windshield came with the Pony emblem as my 06 GT did.
Old 09-19-2005, 08:39 PM
My05GT
1st Gear Member

Thanks again. I just called 'em and asked for the OE glass - also made sure it has the emblem. They said it's either Carlite or PPG glass. Takes a couple of days to order, but I'll wait.
Old 09-19-2005, 08:42 PM
SMR012

Either is great, just make sure if it is PPG when they get there that it has the emblem. There is an interchange part number that will fit the whole that does not have the emblem.
Old 09-19-2005, 08:48 PM
Dan04COBRA
Super Moderator

The glass shop next to my business does a lot of Safelite windshields and they all look extremely wavy from the side to me. I had the windshield in my Silverado replaced with Safelite and when it rains I feel like I'm drunk because it's so wavy.
Old 09-19-2005, 09:21 PM
blueangelfightr
5th Gear Member

Safelite has done alot of work for my family and they usually do a pretty good job. They come to you and do it on the spot. Can't complain.
Old 09-20-2005, 12:40 AM
Dan04COBRA
Super Moderator

Actually now that I think about it, it may be Carlite? Oh well, I don't know, all I know is you can't beat factory quality when it comes to typical replacement parts 99% of the time.
Old 09-20-2005, 02:05 AM
razarr69
2nd Gear Member

Yeah I work at a glass shop, I do a lot of windsheils. We got in a couple of Safelites and my boss thought they weren't the best windshield ever made so we only use PPG and Carlite Windshields.

Quick Reply: Windshield glass differences - Safelite vs. Ford factory