General Tech Ask model specific questions in the appropriate category below. All other general questions within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Need help installing remote starter

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-2012, 07:09 PM
Stuart McWilliams
2nd Gear Member

Default Need help installing remote starter

So I bought an RS1200EP car starter kit. I need some help on installing this. My car is an 07 base. Here is a link to the diagram for installing the starter. At the bottom of the diagram, it states the car is equipped with a special anti-theft key and I need a special module. Is my simple keyless entry what it is referring to? It didn't give me an option for what package of Mustang so the GT or Pony could be the car that it is referring to. And what exactly is the module it is talking about?
Old 05-08-2012, 08:13 PM
craig71springsport
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Stuart McWilliams
So I bought an RS1200EP car starter kit. I need some help on installing this. My car is an 07 base. Here is a link to the diagram for installing the starter. At the bottom of the diagram, it states the car is equipped with a special anti-theft key and I need a special module. Is my simple keyless entry what it is referring to? It didn't give me an option for what package of Mustang so the GT or Pony could be the car that it is referring to. And what exactly is the module it is talking about?
The anti-theft key might be the alarm button on your keychain? I don't know, my car was made before all of this so I never had to bother, haha.
Old 05-10-2012, 12:19 AM
ihavefat
1st Gear Member

How much did it cost you? is your car manual or automatic?
Old 05-10-2012, 11:34 AM
Stuart McWilliams
2nd Gear Member

I got it from a garage sale for $15 lol. It's an automatic. I went ahead and bought the #pkall or whatever off eBay for $19.
Old 05-11-2012, 07:44 AM
ttocs
6th Gear Member

honestly a remote start isn't really something a DIYer installer should take on. I only started to do security installs after I had been installing for 10 months full time and had an expert standing behind me to tell me when I might screw something up and there are alot of ways to do it. You will be cutting/integrating into the critical ignition wiring that powers/runs the car so messing something up will often lead to the car not starting/running right. It is not uncommon for pro installers to run into problems that leads them to a long time trouble shooting but for a DIYer it will probably lead to a tow/repair bill and getting the remote start pulled out. Common problem are that wire colors on the color-codes do not match up and then you have to start testing/diagnosing other wires to find the one you want. If you are not VERY familiar with a voltmeter and how the ignition wiring works again I would not recomend it. For example do you know the difference between a true ignition and a accesory ignition? You will need to for this and need to know how to test/diagnose them as well.
Old 05-11-2012, 11:41 AM
GreyStang
5th Gear Member

Yeah dude be careful with crappy remote starter installs. Even if you do get it working *now*, 6 months later & after a bit of wire corrosion all of a sudden your car doesn't want to start/run on rainy days.. suddenly $34 doesn't seem like such a good deal..
Old 05-11-2012, 04:02 PM
ttocs
6th Gear Member

as he said a great alarm with a bad install on the best case will just leave you standing outside the car wondering why the remote doesn't work while the alarm goes off - worst case you will need to tow it to a mechanic whos only way of fixing it will be to charge $70 hr to remove what you did and repair any damage.

Now a bad alarm with a great install can do either of these as there are some amazingly cheap systems now. You do not want to know what a bad install with a bad system can do....

In all honesty it took more then a few of these before I felt remotely comfortable with them and to this day it is just not uncommon to run into issues that nothing but time in the car and past exp can solve and that knowledge is not cheap/easy to get.
Old 05-12-2012, 12:43 PM
Stuart McWilliams
2nd Gear Member

Thanks for all the replies! I am not very familiar with working on the ignition but the guide they include seems very straight forward. I do have knowledge with electrical work on the though. I've installed multiple sound systems and exterior/interior lights.
Old 05-12-2012, 09:34 PM
ttocs
6th Gear Member

are you familiar with relays inside/out? If it has a keyless entry included with it that you plan on installing take a quick look at the 5-wire reverse polarity system as that is what our mustang has. It is probably the hardest of the systems to integrate into as you have to find the correct wires, wire the relays correctly and insert them into the circuit correctly or you will blow a circuit.

How are you planning on making your connections? Solder/tape is prefered, crimps are acceptable(when done right) and T-taps are a no-no in security. Security is just like audio only 10x harder and lots more at stake.
Old 05-13-2012, 09:01 PM
Stuart McWilliams
2nd Gear Member

So the pkall manual is saying to make connection to tx and rx of my remote starter. Not seeing anything labeled as that on my starter. Which one is it?

Quick Reply: Need help installing remote starter