General Tech Ask model specific questions in the appropriate category below. All other general questions within.

p0442 small evap leak. cant get my car inspected HELP!!!

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-2012, 12:45 PM
Blood
2nd Gear Member

Exclamation p0442 small evap leak. cant get my car inspected HELP!!!

So I am in a bad sticky situation. Gotta get my car inspected by friday next week cause I am moving. And I was given a p0442 code a few weeks back, I cleared the code, removed and put the gas cap back in. It has been driven about 180 miles since I did all that and code hasnt came back on. But I went to get it inspected and its still showing the computer this code without a check engine light being on.

I am in dire need of help I gotta get this thing inspected. They couldnt just overlook it cause he already overlooked the fact that I have no cats.

I just really need to figure this one out.

How much is it gonna cost me and whats the most common things this could be?
Old 05-27-2012, 08:47 AM
craig71springsport
2nd Gear Member

Do you smell gasoline at all? If you smell alot of gas, it could be a more usual seal in your fuel tank area, mainly in the filler neck. If you don't smell any gas, ask your garage if they have a smoke machine, they'll pump smoke in your evap system to find the leak. If they don't, try to find a garage that does have one because it's the fastest way to find a leak.

Either that or just check all the connections yourself, a gas cap or a loose connection will cause it to throw a code.
Old 05-27-2012, 10:49 AM
Blood
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by craig71springsport
Do you smell gasoline at all? If you smell alot of gas, it could be a more usual seal in your fuel tank area, mainly in the filler neck. If you don't smell any gas, ask your garage if they have a smoke machine, they'll pump smoke in your evap system to find the leak. If they don't, try to find a garage that does have one because it's the fastest way to find a leak.

Either that or just check all the connections yourself, a gas cap or a loose connection will cause it to throw a code.
Ford wants to charge 140$ for me to just check it. Idk what al that included but I am sureit includes smoke and the usual.
Old 05-27-2012, 11:30 AM
Blood
2nd Gear Member

And yah I smell gas when driving my car... Cause it runs really rich, but it really just started doing it after I had it retuned. I figured they put a more rich tune into it.
Old 05-27-2012, 02:41 PM
dklistul

You probably have a rubber hose somewhere that has a crack. A smoke machine is the quickest way to find it. Short of that, do a really close inspection of all the rubber hoses using a couple cheap tools: a very bright light and LOTS of patience.

I had this happen on my car and pickup. On the car, it was a hose in the engine compartment and on the pickup it was a hose at the fuel tank.

Find someone with a scan tool and see if they can reset the code. Maybe you can get it inspected real quick before the light comes back on???

But even if you get past the inspector, you really need to fix it. Probably cheap to fix, even if it's not easy to find.
Old 05-27-2012, 03:59 PM
Blood
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by dklistul
You probably have a rubber hose somewhere that has a crack. A smoke machine is the quickest way to find it. Short of that, do a really close inspection of all the rubber hoses using a couple cheap tools: a very bright light and LOTS of patience.

I had this happen on my car and pickup. On the car, it was a hose in the engine compartment and on the pickup it was a hose at the fuel tank.

Find someone with a scan tool and see if they can reset the code. Maybe you can get it inspected real quick before the light comes back on???

But even if you get past the inspector, you really need to fix it. Probably cheap to fix, even if it's not easy to find.

I reset the engine light my self but the code still remained. The engine light isnt on, but the code is still there....

wait! If I reset it again right before I brought it in, would it show clear?
Old 05-27-2012, 05:47 PM
dklistul

What do you mean you reset it yourself? I'm not sure I understand how the code could still be there, yet the light is still off.

If your car is like any of mine, you'll need a scan tool to truly reset the fault in the computer. I have an OBD II scan tool that I can use to read and then reset the fault. If the problem is still there, the fault comes back (and the light comes back on).

You just might need to find someone with a scan tool to read and reset any current and pending trouble codes. A lot of auto parts places have a tool to read the codes but I have no idea if they have the ability to reset them. But phone calls these days are usually free and a call to one of them might answer that question.
Old 05-27-2012, 06:06 PM
Blood
2nd Gear Member

What do you mean you reset it yourself? I'm not sure I understand how the code could still be there, yet the light is still off.

If your car is like any of mine, you'll need a scan tool to truly reset the fault in the computer. I have an OBD II scan tool that I can use to read and then reset the fault. If the problem is still there, the fault comes back (and the light comes back on).

You just might need to find someone with a scan tool to read and reset any current and pending trouble codes. A lot of auto parts places have a tool to read the codes but I have no idea if they have the ability to reset them. But phone calls these days are usually free and a call to one of them might answer that question.
Do you kno wanything about programmers? I have an SCT programmer, it has a built in DTC code reader and it will reset the engine light and the codes. lol.
Old 05-27-2012, 07:13 PM
dklistul

Originally Posted by Blood
Do you kno wanything about programmers? I have an SCT programmer, it has a built in DTC code reader and it will reset the engine light and the codes. lol.
As a matter of fact, I DO know a bit about it.

If you truly reset the code, and it's not active, you shouldn't be denied your emissions tag based on a historical fault, since as far as they know, it's been fixed (the light isn't on).

I'm trying to be friendly since I'm a new guy here (but not to cars). But that might not be working too well. Obviously, this is a street-driven car, since you're trying to pass an emissions test, and that the car came from the factory with catalytic converters (since you mentioned that it has none). Removing the converters on a car so-equipped is a serious violation if you drive it on the public roads. And a car that was built without them (like my '66) isn't required to have them.

So I'll just say that in my honest opinion, you should be busted for not having the cats; the small evaporative control system leak is pretty minor in comparison. The emissions "pro" (my word, not yours) who overlooked the fact that your cats aren't there is setting himself up for some serious charges, if someone chooses to press the issue hard enough, something he should know already. And if the tech is busted, they could throw you under the same bus, right behind him.

Fix your car the right way, or keep it off the road. Or move to an area that doesn't require the tests so nobody would ever know. Those are your legal choices.

Sorry to be so harsh but that's the way it is.
Old 05-27-2012, 08:01 PM
Blood
2nd Gear Member

As a matter of fact, I DO know a bit about it.

If you truly reset the code, and it's not active, you shouldn't be denied your emissions tag based on a historical fault, since as far as they know, it's been fixed (the light isn't on).

I'm trying to be friendly since I'm a new guy here (but not to cars). But that might not be working too well. Obviously, this is a street-driven car, since you're trying to pass an emissions test, and that the car came from the factory with catalytic converters (since you mentioned that it has none). Removing the converters on a car so-equipped is a serious violation if you drive it on the public roads. And a car that was built without them (like my '66) isn't required to have them.

So I'll just say that in my honest opinion, you should be busted for not having the cats; the small evaporative control system leak is pretty minor in comparison. The emissions "pro" (my word, not yours) who overlooked the fact that your cats aren't there is setting himself up for some serious charges, if someone chooses to press the issue hard enough, something he should know already. And if the tech is busted, they could throw you under the same bus, right behind him.

Fix your car the right way, or keep it off the road. Or move to an area that doesn't require the tests so nobody would ever know. Those are your legal choices.

Sorry to be so harsh but that's the way it is.
First of all your a ****in idiot, coming in here like the damn sheriff of the forum. You obviously know nothing about this forum since 90% of the cars on this forum are running without cats. And all those nice sounded mustangs you hear runnin round you think they have cats? no. You need to learn who youre talking to before you start running your suck. You might be an old bag, who know something about cars, but you dont know anything apparently about some common damn sense.

I have friends who pass my car for me, but they can only bypass one option which is my cats since the car is throwing p0442 code it had to be fixed.

Second of all: I am getting a inspection sticker for the sole reason that I can get my DoD sticker on Marine Corps base I am stationed on. I dont ever have to get an inspection on my cara gain affter I get this one more time. I have never had a problem getting the sticker before. But now I have this problem. Thanks and just leave.

And hope the rest of the people respect you for telling them also that you think they should all be busted for running no cat converters.

Quick Reply: p0442 small evap leak. cant get my car inspected HELP!!!