General Tech Ask model specific questions in the appropriate category below. All other general questions within.

Paint Bubbling on the Hood

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-2012, 10:21 PM
lambalrl

Default Paint Bubbling on the Hood

I have a 2005 mustang I purchased used and the paint is bubbling on the hood. I have been told by 2 different body shops, that I'm better off replacing the hood instead of repairing it. I prefer to keep it stock but I don't want spend $1000 on a oem hood. I have found a few oem aluminum replacement hoods for around $450, but I don't know if the quality is as good. Tried looking on Craigslsit, but folks want $500 for a used hood or the paint is bubbling. Anyone know of any good sites to pickup a quality hood? Thanks!
Old 07-04-2012, 03:52 PM
craig71springsport
2nd Gear Member

Why would bubbling paint mean you need a new hood?

It sounds like the shops are trying to get you to order a hood THROUGH THEM so they can butt-rape you on a price. Just go to a shop and tell them you want your hood's paint problem replaced and you want the hood color-matched.
Old 07-06-2012, 09:06 AM
conor1148
2nd Gear Member

I don't understand how a paint problem means new hood..

I would run far, far away from both of those shops.

BUT if you want to just go ahead and get a nicer hood anyways, I believe cervinis has pre-painted options now.
Old 07-06-2012, 03:49 PM
PNYXPRESS
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by craig71springsport
Why would bubbling paint mean you need a new hood?
Originally Posted by conor1148
I don't understand how a paint problem means new hood..
Its because the aluminum was contaminated at the factory and there is no way to fix it short of a) new hood or b) cut out the bad section and weld in new metal.

you can sand it down and repaint but the bubbling will come back.
Old 07-06-2012, 10:20 PM
conor1148
2nd Gear Member

I stand corrected. Looks like a good excuse to get a nicer hood then!
Old 07-06-2012, 11:13 PM
craig71springsport
2nd Gear Member

Sounds like a problem from the factory that needs to be replaced by the dealership.
Old 07-07-2012, 06:58 AM
lambalrl

That's probably what I'll end up doing is getting a new hood. I've seen a couple of aftermarket aluminum hoods for around $400, but I would imagine for that price the quality won't be as good.
Old 07-07-2012, 11:37 AM
craig71springsport
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by lambalrl
That's probably what I'll end up doing is getting a new hood. I've seen a couple of aftermarket aluminum hoods for around $400, but I would imagine for that price the quality won't be as good.
That is not true, Ford just likes to charge outrageous prices for stock equipment.

For example, my buddy needed bellhousing to trans, bellhousing to block, and flexplate bolts for his 5.0. He would have had to pay $180 for 15 bolts! They are insane with some things!

I also read awhile back about something with GT500 hoods. From what I could understand, a couple guys were upset because their hoods got damaged and they had to pay upwards of $5000 for new ones. The number was probably higher than that.

Ford does not price some stuff very fairly. But they don't care, they know the aftermarket exists. As for my buddy, he just used his tap and die set and went to the hardware store to get the correct bolts.

You will find quality hoods for around $500, lighter than stock, and they'll look cooler.
Old 07-07-2012, 02:44 PM
PNYXPRESS
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by craig71springsport
You will find quality hoods for around $500, lighter than stock, and they'll look cooler.
Unfortunately, I dont believe there are any aftermarket hoods that are lighter than the stock aluminum hood.
Old 07-08-2012, 12:38 AM
craig71springsport
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by PNYXPRESS
Unfortunately, I dont believe there are any aftermarket hoods that are lighter than the stock aluminum hood.
Whaaaaaaat...even the fiberglass ones?

Quick Reply: Paint Bubbling on the Hood