General Tech Ask model specific questions in the appropriate category below. All other general questions within.

V6 VS V8 for racing

Old 07-07-2012, 07:37 PM
Jonathan Pena

Default V6 VS V8 for racing

i need your opinion on which engine to go with.

first off, I've heard reports of a V6 engine with a supercharger out preforming a V8 stock engine. but the V6 trany is not as tough as a V8 for racing.

ok, so, my question is what engine would you go with for a street racing car.
- i would prefer a large amount of torque in an engine for burnouts
- im using this car to drift with so the trany will be a standard
- V6 engines are also lighter in weight compared to a V8

THANKS IN ADVANCE!!!
Old 07-07-2012, 08:21 PM
99GTvert
is my username.

V8 for..."competition' racing. More torque stronger drivetrain better brakes (I think) but if you get a V6 there are plenty of options to build one up as well.

This is a very common comparison. You should be able to find several v6 vs v8 theads.
Old 07-07-2012, 09:14 PM
freyes
2nd Gear Member

The transmissions and drive trains for the 2011+ V6 and V6 mustangs are the same, whether you are talking about manual or automatic. Front brake rotors are smaller, unless you get the pony package, then they're identical. If you break traction with the tires, you are not hooking up, so your quarter mile times will be slower. High torque does not equal low ets. Take a 2011 V6 mustang and add a procharger supercharger and you have more hp than a stock GT for less money. If you are talking about drag racing, an automatic is faster. Pick a standard trans for road racing. I'm going to be pushing 500 rear wheel horsepower once my upgrade is finished. Right now I'm at 410 RWHP.

Last edited by freyes; 07-07-2012 at 09:16 PM.
Old 07-07-2012, 10:09 PM
Jonathan Pena

thanks for the help!
Old 07-08-2012, 12:36 AM
craig71springsport
2nd Gear Member

Depends on what year of Mustang we're talking about here.

If you're talking about new Mustangs, a v6 with some sort of forced induction will be better. But, you take some coin and do it to a coyote 5.0 and it'll be better than the v6 would be. All up to you. I would definitely go with the v8, especially for drifting. More ponies and torques means more sideways action and smoke.
Old 07-09-2012, 11:59 AM
GreyStang
5th Gear Member

A blown V6 may make as-much-or-more horsepower than a V8, but you'll need to constantly feed it premium fuel,, that can get expensive unless the car is just a weekend toy.

Throw a blower on the V8 & it's staying on top of the comparison
Old 07-10-2012, 10:00 AM
freyes
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by GreyStang
A blown V6 may make as-much-or-more horsepower than a V8, but you'll need to constantly feed it premium fuel,, that can get expensive unless the car is just a weekend toy.

Throw a blower on the V8 & it's staying on top of the comparison
A blown V8 would also require premium fuel, so that cost differential is negated.

Buy a base V6 and add $5000.00 for supercharging, and you are still lower in costs and insurance than an NA V8 mustang. Throw a little more money at a V6, and you can exceed 500 - 650 RWHP, and still get 23 MPG average mileage.
and run 11.2 in the quarter mile. https://www.facebook.com/fastyellowmustang
Old 07-10-2012, 05:47 PM
GreyStang
5th Gear Member

Why start with a weaker engine that needs $$ mods just to be as quick as a bigger stock engine?

The only reason that I can think of is because you need to to build an engine within category limits, like maximum displacement restriction. OR if you already have a car/engine & don't want to change it.

Do you think the insurance is gonna be cheaper for a blown modded V6 than for a stock V8? Is that how it is in California?
Old 07-10-2012, 08:00 PM
LilRoush
6th Gear Member

Why start with a weaker engine that needs $$ mods just to be as quick as a bigger stock engine?
Because $ for $, the blown V6 makes more power cheaper than the NA V8 would. It's basic economics.

I'm going to assume you're talking S197 Mustangs to drift:

The boosted V6 will be a better choice fo those two. You'll get a lighter nose and more power for your money compared to buying a new 5.0L. You can also get a lower powerband to get loose quicker when you need to.

Take this as someone who's built and raced both V8 and V6 supercharged Mustangs. Many who like to offer advice on the V6 vs V8 topic haven't done both, so can't give solid advice.
Old 07-11-2012, 08:04 AM
freyes
2nd Gear Member

The only reason that I can think of is because you need to to build an engine within category limits, like maximum displacement restriction. OR if you already have a car/engine & don't want to change it.

Do you think the insurance is gonna be cheaper for a blown modded V6 than for a stock V8? Is that how it is in California?
The V6 is not weaker than the V8. That's a common misconception. Change the pistons and wrist pins on the 3.7L V6 and you have an engine that will scream to 7600 - 8000 RPM and make as much as 500 - 750 RWHP. Add that to the fact that an SC V6 is still lighter than an SC V8, as well as a big differential in costs between the V6 and V8 short blocks. My insurance agent didn't bother to look under my hood. Actually, she's never seen any of my cars. Insurance cost is lower for the V6 vs the V8. I've had both, and am sticking with my V6. I'm presently replacing my pistons, rods, and wrist pins so I can up my boost to max. levels. My tuner loves the potential of the 3.7L V6, and is as anxious as I am to see what a forged V6 can do.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: V6 VS V8 for racing