General Tech Ask model specific questions in the appropriate category below. All other general questions within.

Opinions Wanted on Blown Motor Situation

Old 08-19-2012, 12:35 AM
blkelvis

Default Opinions Wanted on Blown Motor Situation

Hello everyone, I am new to this site and this is actually my first post. This particular thread is concerning my current 2000 White Mustang GT and I am the proud former owner of a 1996 Blk on Blk Mustang Cobra and a 2001 Green Mustang Bullitt. I have been a Mustang man for 11 years now, I love the way they look, drive, and in my humble opinion they are among the more reliable of vehicles. Up until three days ago in the 11 years of having various Mustangs as my daily driver I have never had one strand me on the side of the road. The motor blew up on me in my current 2k Mustang Gt. I had a little warning as about 6 miles earlier, while I was on the freeway going up a hill passing some trucks I downshifted into 4th and the car fell on its face. Felt almost like a fuel filter... I was babying it home and I saw my oil pressure gauge start fluctuating, pressure-no pressure-pressure-no pressure as I was pulling over trying to get to the side of the freeway right before I could shut it down I heard the death rattle. I am by no means putting down the vehicle as like I said it for sure had well over 110k miles and lots of those miles were very hard miles...

Here is where I am hoping to get some input:

The odometer shows 144k miles on it (actual mileage is about 11% less as I put in 3:73 rear end gears right after I bought the car with 29k miles on it and never messed with the computer/speedometer.) I had always been religous with oil/fluid changes and had always used Mobil One Synthetic where applicable.
The car is really well maintained...everything works as new. Has never been in ANY kind of an accident, paint is still very nice with only the expected minor scratches/rubs/chips you would expect on a vehicle of that age. Interior is still nice, though its cloth not rubber.
It has the Black Bullitt Wheels with Deep Dish in the rear. Front 275/40/zr17 Rear 315/35/zr17 tires are nearly new, at least 80% to the rears and 90% to the fronts.
Modifications include: BBK Ceramic Coated Long Tube Headers 2 1/2" H-Pipe with litterally brand new Magna Flow Cats and Flowmaster Delta 40 Mufflers K&N Cold Air Accufab 70mm Throttle Body Polished Dragon Upper Plenum Under Drive Pulleys B&M Short Throw Shifter 3:73 rear end gears essentially all the bolt ons oh and I also threw on a brushed aluminum Bullitt Fuel Door Cover...

As is the case with most working Americans right now obviously money/value is a big issue. Do I pay $1700 bucks and toss a used junk yard motor in the car and try and sell it? I would be doing the engine swap myself (which is a big gamble that I dont get into any problems.) Do I spend $2200 and get a rebuilt motor plus you can figure on another $3-500 on incidentals while do either on gaskets/hoses/fluids ect... Do I pull everything off of it and try and piece out what I can and then just junk it? Do I just try and sell it as is needing a motor, and if I was to go that route what do you think a 2k Mustang GT in say very nice condition less a motor would be worth? Maybe there is another option you guys might have that I am not even thinking of? One problem is that there is no one even close to where I live (Mount Shasta California) that can burn a custom tune if I was to try and get a stroker motor ect...

Well I am sorry for the long post, I really do appreciate any input that you all might have. I need to make a decision soon as it going to be getting cold here in another month or two and right now my only transportaion is a Honda CBR..
Old 08-19-2012, 03:52 PM
g96v6-250k

how you know its blown? did a rod go through the block or oil pan? does the crank shaft still rotate? could be only valvetrane problem. sounds like the oil pump went out. most of it might be salvagable. tear it all down.