General Tech Ask model specific questions in the appropriate category below. All other general questions within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

09 Mustang automatic transmission won't go into gear

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-2012, 10:08 AM
MariaBurton

Default 09 Mustang automatic transmission won't go into gear

I have seen several different threads about this problem but my at has done this before and just magically started working last time. It's been about a couple weeks and now it has done it again!
First, I have a 2009 Ford Mustang V6 with automatic transmission. I had driven my car several places today and had no problems of any kind. When I got in my car this afternoon to go home from a friends house I turned the car on (started with no problem) and put it into reverse. I did not hear the gears change like I normally do, and the car did not move when I took my foot off of the brake and pressed the gas. The gear shifter handle will move freely through all of the gears but the car will not go into any gear.
I have tried cutting the car off and back on and attempting to shift again several times. I have tried using the ignition key to put the car into neutral while the car is off and then starting it and trying to change gears but the gear shifter still moved freely and the car wouldn't go into gear. I have tried waiting on the car warm up. I have put the car into neutral (neutral and park are the only gears that work) and pushed it to the bottom of the hill so that it is on level ground. I have tried waiting several hours and trying it again. I have tried pumping the brakes. All of my brake lights are working.
The same exact thing happened to me a couple weeks ago. After trying for several hours to get the car into gear I gave up and called my grandfather to come pick me up. I tried several times while he was on his way. When he got there he got in the car and it went into gear perfectly for him the first time he tried it. I have had no problems since then until now.
I have read that the problem could be a fuse or broken cable, could this be possible if it has happened before and it started working again on its own?
Old 12-10-2012, 12:30 PM
Stevo86
3rd Gear Member

Not likely, it sounds like something in the valve body. Transmission diagnosis is extremely difficult unless you know what you're doing. Best advice to you is to take it to a Ford dealership. Besides isn't an '09 still under warranty?
Old 12-10-2012, 02:16 PM
MariaBurton

Originally Posted by Stevo86
Not likely, it sounds like something in the valve body. Transmission diagnosis is extremely difficult unless you know what you're doing. Best advice to you is to take it to a Ford dealership. Besides isn't an '09 still under warranty?
No, it's not under warranty because I bought it used from a different dealer.
Old 12-10-2012, 06:19 PM
Uncoolron
1st Gear Member

I'm not familiar with this car's automatic transmission but I worked on PT cruiser once that wont engage the transmission in any shift position. All I did was replaced the rubber grommet of the auto trans actuator lever.

Good luck on your fix.
Old 09-22-2017, 04:12 PM
SebassMustang

Default 2006 mustang V6 shifting issues

I have a automatic 06' Mustang V6 and lately my Shift Lever isn't sliding as easily as it always has into all the gears. There def resistant of some sort. There no grinding or noises of any kind, just simply feeling like something isn't greased and it's a pain in the ***. It moves in gear fine and run fine once in gear. Anyone have any onsite or any thoughts? Thanks guys!