General Tech Ask model specific questions in the appropriate category below. All other general questions within.

Humming/clicking noise when I turn the wheel

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2013, 11:00 AM
aerbourne
2nd Gear Member

Default Humming/clicking noise when I turn the wheel

First time back on the forums in a while, had a little luck with the search feature, but not my exact problem.

I'm sure it's something to do with the power steering. Sometimes when I'm going slow (like turning into a parking space), the wheel gets very hard to turn, while other times, it's working just fine. I never have the problem when I'm at any sort of speed. What really worries me is the awful sound it used to make when I turned the wheel almost all the way in either direction, but now makes anytime I turn while going slow. The best way I can describe the noise is that it is a loud hum with a clicking mixed in. If I end up having to take it to the shop, how much do yall think it could end up costing? Or if I don't take it in, am I risking severely worsening the problem?

Thanks a bunch
Old 01-09-2013, 04:37 AM
petrock
4th Gear Member

sounds like a bad power steering pump or low/contaminated power steering fluid or there is an air leak on the return side letting air into the pump. Good luck...
Old 01-14-2013, 02:18 PM
aerbourne
2nd Gear Member

Thanks a bunch...it's always something