General Tech Ask model specific questions in the appropriate category below. All other general questions within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Adding muscle to my 2010 V6...

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2013, 02:30 PM
Baddjiujiu

Default Adding muscle to my 2010 V6...

I'd like to add some aggressive power and sound to my 2010 V6 mustang. It's an automatic and a daily driver so I don't intend to get too crazy, but I'd like to get above 300 HP. I've been looking at different exhausts, cold air intakes, and headers. I am new to performance parts and have little knowledge of various brands and designs but I've been trying to read up a bit to figure what's best for me.

My question is what should I start with? I was thinking exhaust, as I feel it would give me immediate sound/looks while increasing my HP.

My next question is, how much will it increase my HP? and will it positively or negatively effect my gas mileage?

If possible, I'd like to have more of a rumble like a V8, but I don't know if that's realistic.

Any suggestions on brands and models? Should I start with something other than exhaust?
Old 01-17-2013, 04:42 PM
E_cox310
2nd Gear Member

You can improve your exhaust, but it won't sound like a V8. I say the best starter mod will be a nice axle back exhaust then CAI/Tune. Then after that you may think about getting your hands on some headers. And exhaust is personal preference, I could name a few for you, but it comes down to what YOU like and not me.
Old 01-17-2013, 05:15 PM
Baddjiujiu

Originally Posted by E_cox310
You can improve your exhaust, but it won't sound like a V8. I say the best starter mod will be a nice axle back exhaust then CAI/Tune. Then after that you may think about getting your hands on some headers. And exhaust is personal preference, I could name a few for you, but it comes down to what YOU like and not me.
thanks for the reply, any recommendations would be great. Why axle back and not cat back?
Old 01-17-2013, 05:25 PM
ZombieHuntr
1st Gear Member

SLP axleback is liked by many.....
Old 01-17-2013, 05:29 PM
aaquib1992
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Baddjiujiu
thanks for the reply, any recommendations would be great. Why axle back and not cat back?
For the price you're paying to do a cat back you are not going to get much improved sound or performance.

Cat back exhaust is popular on imports and such because their stock (usually) single cat is a big choke point. With the S197 platform, the exhaust on the 4.0 is in no way restrictive until you get into VERY high power levels. This is why you don't hear much in the way of cat-back exhausts on mustang forums as a whole.

A dual exhaust conversion will entail an X or H pipe with axleback mufflers that will be more than sufficient depending on what brand of axle back mufflers you go with. The S197 has SO many choices for mufflers that you could literally start from low grumble all the way up to ear splitting banshee. If you want the latter, you might want to look into straight pipes...

Don't bother with the CAI unless you tune the car for it. An aftermarket tune is the meat of the banquet that is the most popular first mod package for mustang owners (that is the intake + tune).
Old 01-17-2013, 05:36 PM
kzonts
5th Gear Member

To get to 300HP on the 4.0 you will need a turbo or supercharger. And to support the power either upgrade your 7.5 rear axle with t-lok or replace it with an 8.8. Happy modding!
Old 01-17-2013, 06:36 PM
mcrider
2nd Gear Member

The set up I have on my 2007 4.0 is a CAI, SCT X3 tuner, shorty headers (for low to mid range torque boost), and a dual exhaust set up which consists of an H pipe (for the old school rumble instead of the higher pitched sound of an X pipe) (also the H pipe helps with low to mid range power), and a set of glass pacs directly under the cabin area. this eliminates the drone that you get with an axle back system. It sounds awesome and runs really good. Most people cant believe that a V6 can be that fast without a supercharger or turbo!
Old 01-17-2013, 07:20 PM
THS_Steed06
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by mcrider
The set up I have on my 2007 4.0 is a CAI, SCT X3 tuner, shorty headers (for low to mid range torque boost), and a dual exhaust set up which consists of an H pipe (for the old school rumble instead of the higher pitched sound of an X pipe) (also the H pipe helps with low to mid range power), and a set of glass pacs directly under the cabin area. this eliminates the drone that you get with an axle back system. It sounds awesome and runs really good. Most people cant believe that a V6 can be that fast without a supercharger or turbo!
Hey mcrider,

Do you have any sound clips or videos of this set up? I really like the idea of the pypes mid-muffler set up but the tone is still a bit too "350z" sounding for my taste. That one uses the x pipe and I wonder if that's why it doesn't have the deeper rumble like you describe on yours.

Also have you by chance dynoed this?

Thanks,

Tom
Old 01-17-2013, 07:42 PM
Baddjiujiu

"the exhaust on the 4.0 is in no way restrictive until you get into VERY high power levels."
How high would it need to be for me to have to worry about that?

"An aftermarket tune is the meat of the banquet that is the most popular first mod package for mustang owners (that is the intake + tune)."
What would an aftermarket tune give me? Should I buy a tuner or take it to a shop to have them tune it?

"To get to 300HP on the 4.0 you will need a turbo or supercharger"
I would love either of these, but it was suggested that I don't due to the fact that the vehicle has 40,600 miles on it. I thought a supercharger would be the easiest and most effective part for a daily driver, but the salesman (maybe not the biggest authority on the matter) told me a turbo is the way to go on a v6. It looks like they cost about the same, so I don't know. I also feel like this would be an upgrade purchased down the line...probably next year. Thanks for the heads up about the rear axle swap.

Mcrider, that sounds wicked. I was looking into shorty headers, and wasn't sure at which point I should get them (before or after exhaust, intake, etc...) I would also love to hear what it sounds like.

Thanks for all the responses guys
Old 01-17-2013, 08:21 PM
aaquib1992
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Baddjiujiu
"the exhaust on the 4.0 is in no way restrictive until you get into VERY high power levels."
How high would it need to be for me to have to worry about that?

"An aftermarket tune is the meat of the banquet that is the most popular first mod package for mustang owners (that is the intake + tune)."
What would an aftermarket tune give me? Should I buy a tuner or take it to a shop to have them tune it?

"To get to 300HP on the 4.0 you will need a turbo or supercharger"
I would love either of these, but it was suggested that I don't due to the fact that the vehicle has 40,600 miles on it. I thought a supercharger would be the easiest and most effective part for a daily driver, but the salesman (maybe not the biggest authority on the matter) told me a turbo is the way to go on a v6. It looks like they cost about the same, so I don't know. I also feel like this would be an upgrade purchased down the line...probably next year. Thanks for the heads up about the rear axle swap.

Mcrider, that sounds wicked. I was looking into shorty headers, and wasn't sure at which point I should get them (before or after exhaust, intake, etc...) I would also love to hear what it sounds like.

Thanks for all the responses guys
All good questions, as for the first one I've seen 4.0 owners with full boltons that haven't really found a huge problem running a single pipe. You wouldn't need to worry about it until after you reached boosted levels of power. Most owners get it out of the way early for sound and looks (personal preference).

As far as the tuner, it really depends on what your plans are for the car. If you just want to do some boltons and have a fun daily driver (as you mentioned earlier) then I would recommend americanmuscle.com as they have several V6 4.0 tuner/intake combo packs and their tunes for life program is awesome. Those tuners will come prepared with everything you need ready to go (when you make the purchase they will contact you asking for your vehicle information).

However, if you are looking for 300HP or more, then as others said you're looking at turbo/superchargers and when you go that route you are going to need a dyno tune from a good shop. I would recommend you decide what you want to do with the car first, then ask in the 4.0L section as we can help you better over there once you have your goals laid out.

Typically if you are looking for an intake+tune package, you can expect gains of around 15-20 HP (similar TQ) and much better shift points for the automatic. It really does make the auto awesome to romp on though, I can tell you that from personal experience. Shifts are pretty hard and fast and the throttle response is lightyears faster than stock.

Quick Reply: Adding muscle to my 2010 V6...