General Tech Ask model specific questions in the appropriate category below. All other general questions within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

2005 Mustang GT fuel gauge problem

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-2012, 11:50 PM
drumhedd2005

Question 2005 Mustang GT fuel gauge problem

Ok, so here is the story. My fuel pump died and I had it replaced. Car is running fine now. Prior to it dying, the fuel gauge was also not reading properly. Now the gauge is giving me inaccurate readings. Is the sending unit shot? Is it a standard replacement when you replace the fuel pump? I have heard suggestions of running fuel cleaner through the system and it also fixes the problem.
Old 10-02-2012, 01:27 PM
mattdel
6th Gear Member

Aftermarket fuel pump kits, and their corresponding sending units, aren't as perfectly calibrated as the stock unit. As long as the readings are somewhat normal, there isn't much to be done aside from recalibrating your expectations of how it works. If the readings are clearly way, way off, then you should do another pump kit.

This all assuming you replaced the whole unit, rather than disassembling the stock setup to replace just the pump.
Old 10-03-2012, 10:08 AM
sanctionedstang

I have an 05 GT as well. The guy I bought mine from had the gauges act up on him but got a warranty repair work (replaced the fuel gauge). When I picked it up earlier this year I had a period of about a week where it was off then it fixed itself. Basically the sending unit might not be the problem. It might be the actual gauge itself.
Old 10-03-2012, 10:52 AM
wayne613
4th Gear Member

Search stepper motors in this forum. The sensor unit in our cars is done on both the passenger side and drivers side as these are saddle-bag tanks, the passenger side is just the 1 sensor and a pump to transfer fuel to the driver's side.
http://iihs.net/fsm/?dir=319&viewfil...ded%20View.pdf

If the gauge sticks, sometimes doesn't read at all, then likely it's simply the stepper motor in the gauge cluster going bad, which is common place for the 05-06's before they switched motors. Quite a few walk-thru's on how to DIY for replacing. <$40 for the 6 (or 4) needed to change out, sold on ebay.

Last edited by wayne613; 10-03-2012 at 07:26 PM.
Old 10-04-2012, 04:15 AM
Hanildany

Every time the problem of gauge fuel is occurring with my car. I guess I should change my engine parts and what so ever that will require to replace my fuel lamp. please help further.
Old 10-04-2012, 10:16 AM
drumhedd2005

Im not sure if it is the stepper motor. None of the other gauges are acting up and also the fuel data on the computer (miles to E, etc) is not accurate, but the other readouts on the computer and other gauges are working perfectly.
Old 10-04-2012, 11:33 AM
wayne613
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by drumhedd2005
None of the other gauges are acting up and also the fuel data on the computer (miles to E, etc) is not accurate
Have you tried cleaning up the two sending units then? They're just fulcrum based potentiometers mounted to the fuel hats with a ballast to rise and lower. I think there are a couple articles on s197forums.com about testing them.

By 'not accurate' do you mean consistent? Or will it read ok one day, then not on the next filling?

From me having fun yesterday replacing my own fuel pump(pulling the hat apart and just replacing the mounted pump inside):

The sender is the narrow plastic bit on the opposite side as most of the tubing beside the plastic pump housing and of course the metal bar going out of frame. Sorry, I didn't take a lot of photos. I have no full on pics showing that piece.

Last edited by wayne613; 10-04-2012 at 11:47 AM.
Old 10-05-2012, 02:30 AM
Alan145

here is the story. My fuel pump died and I had it replaced. Car is running fine now. Prior to it dying, the fuel gauge was also not reading properly. Now the gauge is giving me inaccurate readings.
Old 10-06-2012, 10:09 AM
drumhedd2005

Originally Posted by wayne613
Have you tried cleaning up the two sending units then? They're just fulcrum based potentiometers mounted to the fuel hats with a ballast to rise and lower. I think there are a couple articles on s197forums.com about testing them.

By 'not accurate' do you mean consistent? Or will it read ok one day, then not on the next filling?

From me having fun yesterday replacing my own fuel pump(pulling the hat apart and just replacing the mounted pump inside):

The sender is the narrow plastic bit on the opposite side as most of the tubing beside the plastic pump housing and of course the metal bar going out of frame. Sorry, I didn't take a lot of photos. I have no full on pics showing that piece.
By not accurate, I mean that it is not giving me correct readings period. It has done this before and I solved the problem in the past by running some Chevron/Techron fuel cleaner through the tank. I have kept the problem from recurring by avoiding sulfur-based fuels (as the 05's and up were infamous for giving you grief about this).

The fuel cleaner does not seem to be working now. The needle only goes up halfway and is saying that I have 120 miles to E despite topping off the tank. Im about ready to just replace both sending units. The main fuel pump was replaced with a Carter model. The other side of the tank has not been touched.
Old 02-19-2013, 09:27 AM
sdtsdt

Default Follow-up Question

Hello. I am new to this forum. I have a 2005 GT and I am seeing this same issue of gauge reading just over half full even though I have filled tank completely. The gauge then goes down as normal and the estimated mileage
count sdown likewise ... My question is, because of this saddle bag design, can I continue to drive after the gauge hits zero or will the car shut down as if actually out of gas. Should I see an error code if the level sensor is not moving gas to the fuel pump side? I do plan to fix this, but I need to know if I have to continue to get gas every time the gauge counts down even though I know that the gauge reading is wrong. I have reset the trip odometer to track my mileage . I am willing to live with this for about a month as long as it won't leave me stranded. Am I missing somethying ? Thanks in advance .... Steven