General Tech Ask model specific questions in the appropriate category below. All other general questions within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Favorite Brand of Tools

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2013, 09:16 PM
CPTCO
5th Gear Member

Default Favorite Brand of Tools

In the market for a few new tools. Lately I've been buying Craftsman and have been pleased with them. I've got a pretty wide assortment including John Deere, Evercraft, Karst, SK, and Craftsman. Always been too cheap to buy Snap On. Sometimes my tools get borrowed or planted (they don't grow for crap).
So what are you guys using? Definitely needing a new set of 1/2" drive sockets.
Old 03-17-2013, 10:01 PM
MarkMan
4th Gear Member

I like Snap On! But have a mixture of Craftsman and Snap On. I have never had any problems with either. I think some of Snap On wrenches are thinner and easier to get into some places. I still buy both depending on how fast I need something and the application (I also use them for aviation). I need a bigger tool box: Looked at Snap On and was floored by the price so I will probably go Craftsman for that!
Old 03-17-2013, 10:06 PM
CPTCO
5th Gear Member

This is the toolbox I use. It's really high quality, you might want to check out what they have. They make several styles.
http://www.montezumamfg.com/store/pr...toolbox-me300/
Old 03-17-2013, 10:27 PM
MarkMan
4th Gear Member

Thanks, I will looks into that. It looks good.
Old 03-19-2013, 04:29 PM
CPTCO
5th Gear Member

Can't believe no one wants to talk about tools...
Old 03-19-2013, 07:15 PM
Tom V
2nd Gear Member

My tools get lost as well. A few years ago I had an impulse buy and grabbed a Huskey socket set from Home Depot figuring i wouldnt care if they grew legs or got lost. I will say I was and still am impressed.
I have put them to the test as well. One time I had a hell of a time removing a couple bolts doing the rear brakes on my DD. I ended up putting a long a$$ lead pipe on the ratchet figuring it wouldn't hold up or I would at least end up splitting the socket. They held up great. it turns out it's prob one of the nicer socket sets I've had.
Old 03-19-2013, 07:31 PM
CPTCO
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Tom V
My tools get lost as well. A few years ago I had an impulse buy and grabbed a Huskey socket set from Home Depot figuring i wouldnt care if they grew legs or got lost. I will say I was and still am impressed.
I have put them to the test as well. One time I had a hell of a time removing a couple bolts doing the rear brakes on my DD. I ended up putting a long a$$ lead pipe on the ratchet figuring it wouldn't hold up or I would at least end up splitting the socket. They held up great. it turns out it's prob one of the nicer socket sets I've had.
I have a Great Neck set that I bought at K-Mart about 20 years ago. I was thinking the same thing as you. They have taken a lot of abuse, I can't seem to break them.
Old 03-21-2013, 12:28 AM
SXGT
5th Gear Member

with craftsman you can walk into any sears and swap busted sockets for new ones. If they dont have them in stock they will ship them free to your home.

with snap on.... you have to flag down that snap on truck. Craftsman does come out with gimicky stuff from time to time but over all they have a good reputation for longevity, but DO stay away from the Evolv stuff. Its their entry level stuff thats made to be as cheap as possible.

fun tip. entry level craftman lawn mowers are made by MTD and YT3000 and up craftsman mowers are made by AYP (Husquvarna). never buy an MTD mower ever.
Old 03-21-2013, 12:43 AM
tinman
5th Gear Member

I also have a Husky brand 1/2" drive set except that mine is a deep well type.
I think it's a very good set considering what I paid for it.
My 'go to the races' set is also a husky 3/8ths drive.
Most of what I consider my 'good' stuff that stays home is Craftsman but there are a lot of brands mixed in with it, S-K Wayne, Snap-on, Williams, Crown, Stanely are just a few brands that I can name.......
Some of my stuff is 60+ years old.
Old 03-22-2013, 08:55 AM
90_notch
1st Gear Member

I also use Craftsman, and have for years. I have had two socket wrenches wear out over the years, from some serious abuse. I walked into Sears and they rebuilt one on the spot in about 10 minutes, and the other they just replaced because it was too old and they could not rebuild it. I have been very happy with them. I have never broke a socket, and I at times have used a 3 FT cheater bar on the socket wrenches. Hmm, that may be the reason the socket wrenches went bad after 15 to 20 years of abuse. I also have some Snap On wrenchs, and I like the feel of them better, but for the price, you can't beat a good Craftman set.

Quick Reply: Favorite Brand of Tools