General Tech Ask model specific questions in the appropriate category below. All other general questions within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Tons and tons of question. Im a mustang fish.

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-2013, 05:32 AM
Aryn Wylde

Default Tons and tons of question. Im a mustang fish.

Hello everyone, I'm aryn Wylde. I drive a white 2006 mustang convertible v6 4.0.

I have about a bajillion questions to ask and i love information. So feed me like a sponge!!

First things first! I purchased the car used with 90,000 miles on it for 9k. I knew the previous owner and helped him do a lot of things to it. It has a larger intake and a performance filter. Also prior to being stolen it was custom tuned to eat gas alive and burn gears like crazy for maximum performance. At one point i know he tried ad eBay turbo kit (which even my nooby butt warned him not to do) and it blew up. Other than that, i installed a pioneer touch screen deck and hot wired the stock shaker 500 amps to the 70w output in my deck and attenuated it to cause massive boost in the bass.

Second after having this thing for month, i got eaten by a deer which sent me in to a curb and bent the front driver side lower control arm. I replaced the control arm and its drivable again but the steering is very hard to control and it seems the new balljoint sits higher than the other side and the tire looks to me like its leaning.

My questions are goal oriented.

First, what do i need to do to get my new baby driving right again? i assume i need an alignment but will that fix the tire lean and is it possible the new joint sits too high?

Second, it can't be good for the engine/transmission to redline at anything more than a slight press of the gas pedal can it? Is there anything i need to do or should i leave it alone? Its nice to have the power, but take off makes my tires chirp every single time, and the Trany seems to punch gears pretty hard at higher speeds.

Other than that i want help building a shopping list. I want my baby to be custom from the ground up. I plan to have her paid off within a year and custom within two. I do not want an 8 cylinder. I specifically want to stay at v6dohc. But other than that im interested in anything and everything. I want to start with repairs then immediately move on to rims and tires. Afterwords i want to make her sexy, i want to make her loud and i want to make her fast but lot insanely fast, remember shell be a daily driver.

Lets the advice, thoughts and recommendations comence!!!!
Old 07-03-2013, 06:20 AM
clowe1965
6th Gear Member

Have a competent alignment shop check out the suspension. You might be better off going to a dealer and have them check it. Sounds like something else is bent too, possibly the strut mounting which means frame damage, or the K member. Get that fixed first. I'm assuming the engine has been fixed since the ebay/ACME turbo kit.

Second would be buying a tune (I assume you have a tuner with the car) from Bama, steeda, or another reputable mail order tuner. Also you could find a good dyno shop to tune it that way. This should solve the beating your engine and transmission are taking. Find out what brand CAI you have, plus any other mods and post them up.

Third would be to check the compatibility of the stereo components you pieced together. It sounds like you ran the speaker power supplies into the OEM speaker amp signal inputs instead of signal outputs to signal inputs. It might sound good now, but check it anyway to make sure it was done right. Last thing you want is an electrical fire.

Third is go through the car and replace all the comsumables. High quality oil, transmission fluid, differential oil, new brake fluid, power steering, and new coolant. Get an air/oil separator for the PCV system to keep your intake clean.

Fourth would be performance mods. You've already got a tune, so you should go with suspension. New lowering springs and shocks/struts do wonders for your handling, plut they make the car more predictable in corners and when hitting the gas. Buying a swaybar set would be good as well, since the v6 doesn't have a rear one at all in stock form. Buying an aluminum driveshaft helps your acceleration and gives you piece of mind about higher speeds. Also get a traction locking differential. If power still isn't enough for you get a dual exhaust set up, possibly some headers as well. At this point you might be addicted so look at a pro charger setup, though putting it on a high mileage engine isn't the best thing.

Welcome to the addiction.
Old 07-04-2013, 12:20 AM
Aryn Wylde

Hey! Thank you for replying!

Ill get the suspension checked asap. The turbo popped before even having a chance to do damage, and all that happened was some shavings that got cleaned out. I sure hope theres no frame damage!

The tuner that was used was a bama. I realize now i didn't type that right. The tuner was stolen. The CIA i assume is bama as well, because it came with the tuner. Im not sure though. It was from American muscle. I purchased a flow master exhaust and i love it too!

The stereo is great, i built a custom power attenuator for it. Im an engineer by profession.

Great plan on the fluids! Ill do that asap!

Im not concerned with the drive shaft for now because im not worried about high speeds for the moment.

Definitely want great handling so ill look in to suspension mods as my first thing(considering im probably going to need suspension work anyway)

I think ill stop at 400hp and i read that thats attainable without a blower?

Any aesthetic mods? I've unscrewed the antenna. Didnt like it. Are there delete kits? All i can find is people bondoing the hole and repainting.

I think i want 18" rims. Are there differences in rims or should i just bet what i think is pretty?

What about tires? I don't like chirping and don't plan i do burnouts. So whats a good, long lasting tire with good grip and maybe a decent price?

What about top replacements? All i can find is black and it think i want to white the whole car out.
Old 07-05-2013, 07:04 AM
clowe1965
6th Gear Member

I don't think they have top replacements for that year. You still have a turbocharger on the car? Take some pictures and post the link to a picture host site (google, flickr, etc.) What do you mean by shavings? Having shavings in the engine or transmission isn't good, especially if that happened while it was running.
Order a new tuner and get Bama to retune it with what mods are currently on it. This will fix the rough shifting. Ordering new tires will not fix the chirping. Look online and get whatever rim/tire package you want, it doesn't really matter.
You could order an electrical panel plug and get it painted to cover the antenna hole. Look for the classic mustang solutions as more people have tried to address the problem with it than the newer cars. any other aesthetics you want just look around at some of the vendor sites.
400 HP is not practical to obtain out of a 4.0 v6, with or without a blower/turbocharger. If you want that then go buy a gt. You could get 300 pretty easily though, for under 10 grand I would think. If you are going to pursue this much power then you should look at drive shafts, it's not just about speed.
Old 11-17-2013, 08:45 PM
Aryn Wylde

Default SHEESH! SORRY I DISSAPEARED!

OK so first i forgot which forum i posted this on...i know im dumb. then life got crazy!

you say 400hp isn't reasonable? since i was last hear ive learned a lot and one this is that my 4.0 is a very capable engine. v6power has them doing 600hp and i had my car dyno tuned as recommended by someone on here, which put me at 250rwhp with nothing but an intake and exhaust, so i believe 400wrhp is very reasonable.

Since i last posted iv gotten my baby in tip top condition, all except a dent in the rear due to a butthole who doesn't know how to look behind him when backing out.

my current ides list is as such.
1. tires/rims
2.drive-shaft
3.heads an a cam
4.fuel system
5.new duel exhaust
6.new torque converters and stalls
7. tranny mods and cooling
8. twin turbo

i know in there somewhere should be upgrading brakes and lots of little stuff, but this is actually what my first post originally should have asked. id like to make a todo list and then brainstorm out to the very detail. id love to do pics and video of the whole thing too! i want to do a wide body kit as well but mostly i just want slightly larger flares.

with the turbo what ive got in my head is, one small one and one large one. so that theres not much initial lag. i dont care about combined power from the two, unless what im thinking is retarded. at which point, thats what im here for! yaay educate me!!

so whats missing from my list to get my lil girl where i want her? though i know the 4.0 is capable of 600hp i dont want that much. big question i have about that is, what kind of engine mods would i have to do to make sure 400rwhp doesnt blow her up? i mean they cant have gotten to 600rwhp on just a plain ol stock block could they have?