General Tech Ask model specific questions in the appropriate category below. All other general questions within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

4.6L3V vs. 5.0 Coyote

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-2013, 03:10 PM
RADTech

Default 4.6L3V vs. 5.0 Coyote

Ever since I sold my old '70 Mach 1 with the awesome 351 Cleveland I built myself, I've longed for another 400+ HP Mustang. I finally managed to swing this beautiful Kona Blue 2010 GT Premium last year and I really love my "new" Mustang, but the more I think that I should have held out for an affordable used 5.0, the more I wonder if I made a serious mistake. Now I don't think I could ever afford an upgrade to an '11/'12 GT, especially without my wife's cooperation (according to her the 4.6 is already too fast! LOL!). So what's your opinion?

Questions:
1) Given these mods (LT headers, hi flow cats, UDP set, CAI, GT500 throttle body, SCT 93 octane tune, 3.73 gears), what kind of HP numbers should I have achieved so far?
2) Should I invest in cams, valve springs, intake or stop and save up for a trade-up to a 2011/2012 5.0 GT?
3) Should I just shut up and appreciate the gorgeous, bad-*** Stang I have the privilege to drive when ever I want?
Old 09-05-2013, 09:39 PM
Hamidar05
2nd Gear Member

Here is how I think about it -

I am fine with the 4.6L I have right now and I am not going to spend the money on cams/exhaust, etc.. since by the time I do, I will have spent at least 50% of what I would for a Coyote motor. You might get close to 400 HP with all the mods, but then think you can get a stock Coyote with more HP then over time mod it easily to get close to 500 HP.

I prefer my 09 body, so I will drive the heck out of the motor and within another couple years, there will be all sorts of coyote swaps out there for it. When I test drove an 11 5.0 and 09 4.6, my butt-dyno was not sensing a big difference you'd think for a 100 HP delta, but that was a short and moderated drive. In the end, I chose the 09 body.

In any case, all of the upgrades you have mentioned got about 75 HP from a mag article a vaguely recall, you should search it, probably from 5.0 Magazine upgrade shootout. If you were going to spend the money on cams anyways, put it towards blower instead.

Here is a trend setter https://mustangforums.com/forum/moto...o-2005-v6.html

Just my two cents, you should do what you feel is best for you and makes you happy.. in the end that is always money well spent.
Old 09-06-2013, 09:26 PM
RADTech

Yeah, I'm kind of leery about opening up a perfectly good running GT engine while it's still under warranty also, so I suppose it would be wisest to quit while I'm ahead and bide my time. I really do love this car. Given the level of performance I easily achieved with these simple bolt-ons, one also has to appreciate the wonderful drivability it has. I can recall the difficulties I had getting my beefed up '70 351 Cleveland even started in cold weather and trudging around town in heavy traffic. My GT is very quick right off idle and I'm reluctant to lose that with cams. Besides you really need CNC heads and another intake to really get the most out of bigger cams, etc., etc. And a blower costs the same as a crate motor...

I guess if I want to continue to use this car as a semi-daily driver I should stay where I'm at and wait until I come across a good deal some day on what I really wanted: a lava red 5.0 GT
Old 09-06-2013, 09:59 PM
427Roush
1st Gear Member

Yes to #3, but save some money for a blower (used M90).
Old 09-09-2013, 02:19 PM
RADTech

A used m90 blower setup for a '10 gt. That sounds like a can of worms. I'm not going to chase parts for a year. A full setup new is like 5 grand. Might as well buy a new engine.
Old 09-09-2013, 02:38 PM
AJ06GT
5th Gear Member

You can build a FI setup for FAR cheaper than that if you build the kit on your own ($2500 or less even with a decent used head unit). Without a doubt you can get the same power out of a 4.6 3V that you can out of a 5.0 for cheaper, the difference is the 5.0 is still stock and the 4.6 is probably pretty modded.

And FI is far cheaper than anything else for having a fast car. The the cost of the mods you listed in the OP, if not less, you could have FI and an extra 75 or so HP. You're talking maybe around 350 RWHP for everything you listed in the first post including cams. FI would be 400+ RWHP.

Plus a supercharger install requires very little tearing into the engine if you're concerned about that.
Old 09-09-2013, 02:50 PM
Derf00
Gentleman's Relish

Originally Posted by RADTech
A used m90 blower setup for a '10 gt. That sounds like a can of worms. I'm not going to chase parts for a year. A full setup new is like 5 grand. Might as well buy a new engine.
A drop-in ready coyote motor will easily put you back three times or more the cost of getting a blower on your existing car. 5.0L coyote motor long block with valve covers and oil pan... $12.5K+, PCM and wire harness for the new motor $2K. Shipping, time, labor...another $2-3K easily.
Old 09-10-2013, 04:49 PM
RADTech

I'm starting to see the $$$light$$$. The supercharger route is starting to look very attractive. As long as the stock cast pistons/rods/crank can take it. I've seen several used units for earlier year mustang 4.6L engines. Are these adaptable to my '10 3V engine? Is the Eaton M90 the easiest to find or to find parts for?
Old 09-10-2013, 07:44 PM
4154Bobby
1st Gear Member

Blower sounds good on anything
Old 09-10-2013, 08:11 PM
Hamidar05
2nd Gear Member

Where do you guys shop - a crate Coyote is available from 5-7K

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/fm...m50s/overview/ and it is complete minus electronics and power accessories. I guess $1500 for the wiring harness and computer is a bit steep, but my guess is you can find a lot of that stuff from recyclers. http://www.summitracing.com/search/b...s?autoview=SKU

Now if you are not installing yourself, then maybe forced induction is the way to go.. but you buy 100 more HP, then can mod that one with FI to over 600 HP

Quick Reply: 4.6L3V vs. 5.0 Coyote