General Tech Ask model specific questions in the appropriate category below. All other general questions within.

warped rotors

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-2005, 03:42 AM
dave86
1st Gear Member

Default warped rotors

My front rotors were warped, and they would squeak every time the wheels rotated. Eventually, it got to the point where it was a constant squeak as long as the wheels were turning. Anyways, I replaced them and shortly after, the squeaking returned. I was wondering if I could have warped them again already from spraying water upward trying to clean my wheels and getting it in the brakes then driving home from car wash having to use the brakes. They're not real expensive rotors, so I don't really mind if they're warped since I plan to buy Cobra brakes eventually, but I'd like to know for future reference if getting all that water in the brakes is bad. Oh and my brakes sometimes make a kind of rubbery friction type noise (i don't really know how to explain it) when letting off of them from a stop. What do you all think?
Old 10-12-2005, 03:43 AM
redass02gt
EXTREME Moderation

Default RE: warped rotors

don't spray water in anything.
Old 10-12-2005, 04:23 AM
03YellowPony
6th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: dave86

My front rotors were warped, and they would squeak every time the wheels rotated. Eventually, it got to the point where it was a constant squeak as long as the wheels were turning. Anyways, I replaced them and shortly after, the squeaking returned. I was wondering if I could have warped them again already from spraying water upward trying to clean my wheels and getting it in the brakes then driving home from car wash having to use the brakes. They're not real expensive rotors, so I don't really mind if they're warped since I plan to buy Cobra brakes eventually, but I'd like to know for future reference if getting all that water in the brakes is bad. Oh and my brakes sometimes make a kind of rubbery friction type noise (i don't really know how to explain it) when letting off of them from a stop. What do you all think?
If you buy cheap ones, they're gonna warp. Usually they do end up slightly out of true. This is due to the heat build up during normal braking. If you ride your brakes, they will warp prematurely. Get the good ones. Slotted and cross drilled are the way to go.
Old 10-12-2005, 01:31 PM
DaGGer
4th Gear Member

it more like your pads are messed up or maybe your wheel bearings. I don't think its your rotors, i know that when you put new pads on there is this stuff you can get from the auto store that you put on them to make it so they don't make the squeeling noise, also if your rotors are warped you would feel it when you brakes because they would shake.
Old 10-12-2005, 03:09 PM
Tim37
4th Gear Member

does the break petal pulsate when you put on your breaks. if not it sounds more like your pads usualy warped rotors won't cause any noise, just and anoying pulsating and jerking of the car.

i would sugest wagner thermoquiet break pads there a little more expensive but put out little dust and don't make noise.
Old 10-12-2005, 03:29 PM
razarr69
2nd Gear Member

If it pulsates like tim37 said your rotors are warped again and youll need new ones eventually. Id check your pads, could be there wear indictators on them that squeak and your brakes pad are over worn and are causing the rotors to warp. How are your pads? Check for dirt or other **** in there.
Old 10-12-2005, 05:53 PM
Derf00
Gentleman's Relish

ORIGINAL: dave86

For the warping issue, see the other posts above, pulsating pedal or wobbley steering wheel when the brakes are applied are dead giveaways. As for warpping in general. Let your brakes cool down for at least 30 minutes before hosing them down. Hot brakes, cold water is the #1 way to warp ANY rotor. Even expensive ones.