General Tech Ask model specific questions in the appropriate category below. All other general questions within.

Just a few questions

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-2005, 07:09 PM
ChrisParis

Default Just a few questions

I just purchased the car a week ago. The following is a list of mods that I am sure of.... the motor has been swapt out to a HO5.0, it has a set of underdrive pullies, msd plug wires cap and rotor, headers (not sure what kind), full custom exhaust from a local muffler shop, Pro 5.0 short shifter, Venom Power Controle Module, air silencer in the fender has been removed, k&n air filter, synthetic engine oil (in the process of changing all the oils over to synthetic), lightweight aluminum wheels, timing has been advanced, and the rear end has dif. gears in it but I'm not sure what they are.

Sometimes the transmision is hard to get into first gear. What cold be causing it?

I have a new D&D Performance clutch that came with the car but it needs to be put in. What effects will it have?

I can't stop spinning the tires when I take off under hard acceleration from a stop, and they will spin if I torque the motor up then drop the gas pedel to the floor. Looks neat, but gets me behind off the line. Any suggestions? (traction bars?) I am getting a set of good strret legal race tires from a buddy in a couple of weeks. (hopefully this will help some)

When I'm going down the highway @ about 70mph the rearend is loud.... Is this due to the gear change? Will synthetic rearend oil make it quieter?

If I add a cold air intake, a new intake manifold, and a bored out and polished aluminum fuel rail, will I benafit from bigger injectors and a better fuel pump? What size injectors would be recomended? What fuel pump would be recomended? Are Venom injectors and fuel pumps good?

I want to upgrade my cams.... any suggestions? I want my 5.0HO to have a little lope at stop lights. What kind of changes will a new set of cams make?

What else can I do to my 87' LX to make it "a little" better? Do I have a good start? Is there anything that has already been done that I need to take out or change?
Old 10-12-2005, 02:12 PM
nitrous_bob
6th Gear Member

Default RE: Just a few questions

1. either synchro's are bad or the clutch may not be disengaging all the way
2.effects...none a stiffer pedal if you are using a hipo pressure plate
3. cheater slicks alone will do it, but you can go w/ a set of just about any lca's...i like hpm megabite jr's
4. probably, probably not, maybe the gears were not installed correctly
5. no on everything...until your reaching 300 hp you need no fuel upgrades 1st bump should be 24 lb inj and a 190 fuel pump
6. you only have 1 cam, if you don't need to worry about emissions, the motorsport "b" cam is lopiest
7. good start, find out what gears you have and if your speedo is correted or not.

w/ 1 full revolution of the tire....count how many revolutions of the driveshaft.

3 1/2 = 3.55 , 3 3/4 = 3.73 get it? then check your speed against 1 of those signs the cops put on the road.....most guys don't correct their speedo's after a gear swap.

'89 and older you need a 21t for 3.73's '90 and newer a 21t is only good for 3.27's and anything higher requires a drive gear replacement not just a driven gear replacement...same goes for 4.10's in the '89 and older

i wouald say the next thing you should get (assuming the cheater slicks from your buddy are ok) are heads.

depending on the gears....you want at least 3.73's and i prefer 4.10's for max performance....if you drive alot...100 miles/day you may want to step down a bit and stay 3.73 but performance will suffer......