General Tech Ask model specific questions in the appropriate category below. All other general questions within.

Car ran fine then shut off and wont start

Old 02-03-2014, 08:04 PM
ShaneB26154

Default Car ran fine then shut off and wont start

2000 ford mustang 3.8L V6

I recently went to the next town over apx 30 miles one way with no problems. Shut the car off a few times and started right back up. I was almost home when I stopped at a gas station once i got back to my car and started it, it started to sputter and then died. I tried to start it a few more times after this and it would start but would sputter like it was either flooded or starving for fuel, and then would die again.

I kept trying to start the car for 30 more minutes and finally the car started and was normal, ran great. I put it into gear and got out of the parking lot and then the car died again.

When I turn the key to start the car you can feel the jerkyness of the engine trying to start but will no longer actually start like it was doing when it would sputter then die again.

The car has never done this before and has always ran strong.

I had to leave my car in a gas station parking lot and dont have the money to tow. Can anyone help me pleasssee!
Old 02-03-2014, 08:07 PM
AzPete
4th Gear Member

Does the engine turn over and just fail to fire or does it not turn over good? Could be a bad battery and possibly a bad alternator also.
Old 02-03-2014, 08:09 PM
ShaneB26154

The car turns over perfectly strong. You can feel it kinda sputter when it turns over but wont actually start and sputter like it was doing.
Old 02-03-2014, 08:11 PM
ShaneB26154

Originally Posted by ShaneB26154
The car turns over perfectly strong. You can feel it kinda sputter when it turns over but wont actually start and sputter like it was doing.
But even at first when the car was doing it, it would start for like 2 seconds and sputter and die, now it wont even do that 30 minutes later.
Old 02-03-2014, 08:45 PM
ShaneB26154

Originally Posted by ShaneB26154
2000 ford mustang 3.8L V6

I recently went to the next town over apx 30 miles one way with no problems. Shut the car off a few times and started right back up. I was almost home when I stopped at a gas station once i got back to my car and started it, it started to sputter and then died. I tried to start it a few more times after this and it would start but would sputter like it was either flooded or starving for fuel, and then would die again.

I kept trying to start the car for 30 more minutes and finally the car started and was normal, ran great. I put it into gear and got out of the parking lot and then the car died again.

When I turn the key to start the car you can feel the jerkyness of the engine trying to start but will no longer actually start like it was doing when it would sputter then die again.

The car has never done this before and has always ran strong.

I had to leave my car in a gas station parking lot and dont have the money to tow. Can anyone help me pleasssee!
I guess I should rephrase this a bit.
"I recently went to the next town over apx 30 miles one way with no problems. Shut the car off a few times and started right back up."

What I meant is I shut the car off (getting fuel and going to my work) not that the car shut off by itself a few times.
Old 02-03-2014, 09:01 PM
AzPete
4th Gear Member

May be lacking fuel. How old is the fuel filter?

Sounds like maybe bad fuel since it seems to have started acting up after you filled the tank.......
Old 02-03-2014, 09:06 PM
ShaneB26154

I could say the car is ready for a tune up.

But would it still do that with the bad gas if i was able to drive for 50 miles on it before it started acting up.

Also it didnt sputter once before i shut it off even when i was at low RPM.
Old 02-03-2014, 09:09 PM
ShaneB26154

I also pushed the car to the pump and threw 5 more into the tank when this started happening because someone mentioned it could have gotten a little water in the tank. (two different gas stations)

For the whole story this morning I had my gas light on and went and threw 15 into the tank and drove about 50 miles before this all happened. after this happened i threw another 5 at the gas station im broke down at.
Old 02-03-2014, 10:38 PM
Bradleywhites

ur car is demanding a way to the workshop to get done with what the trouble it is lagging with .. so do not break down and do it
Old 02-03-2014, 10:42 PM
ShaneB26154

I'm not sure exactly what you mean. I am trying to get the things fixed on it that is why I am on here so I can figure out what the problem is to fix it. I already plan on a full tune up with fuel filter included. I didn't know if it could possibly be a fuel pump or possibly coil pack.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Car ran fine then shut off and wont start