General Tech Ask model specific questions in the appropriate category below. All other general questions within.

Mustang won't start after disconnecting the battery

Old 02-05-2014, 06:24 AM
Ericccc

Default Mustang won't start after disconnecting the battery

Hi, new member, treat me nicely

So, I've got a Ford Mustang GT 2007 that I disconnected the battery from. This was a horrible mistake, because now it won't start.

I've checked both the battery and tried a new battery with no luck, the engine doesn't crank at all. There is no sign of life and a slight "clicking" or "tapping" noise coming from under the dashboard almost at all times.

I spent yesterday crawling under it and confirmed that the starter doesn't get any power.

The SecuriLock icon is slowly flashing on the instrument cluster.

I've got the feeling that it's something with the SecuriLock or some aftermarket alarm system that shut it down thinking it was a theft attempt - but I am not certain.

Is there anyone who's got any suggestions how to fix this?

It would be greatly appreciated.

My apologies for possible spelling errors, english is not my first language.

Thanks a lot!

Eric
Old 02-05-2014, 08:54 AM
massguy54
1st Gear Member

is the battery charged
Old 02-05-2014, 09:55 AM
Ericccc

Both of the batteries were completely charged when trying them out.
Old 02-05-2014, 10:18 AM
AzPete
4th Gear Member

Do the lights, radio, door chime....anything work? If nothing works, most likely battery connection issues. If lights work, do they dim when turning tge key to start? Does it have more alarm than the factory setup?
Old 02-05-2014, 01:36 PM
WJBertrand
2nd Gear Member

Did you reconnect the battery? <kidding?> Manual transmission? Pushing the clutch pedal down far enough?
Old 02-06-2014, 01:17 AM
Ericccc

Radio, lights, heating, door chime.. Everything works. The lights doesn't dim when I try to start the car, but the car is completely silent, not a single sign of life from the engine.

It's an automatic.

I'm not completely sure actually about a possible aftermarket/dealership alarm, it's a CA import (I think) and I have lots of papers to go through (and the previous owner might still have some papers to send me, he's still going through the stuff he got when importing it). I've searched some for a switch or button for a possible reset of this but no luck yet.
Old 02-06-2014, 01:54 AM
Ericccc

And yes, I reconnected the battery :P
Old 02-06-2014, 02:37 PM
AzPete
4th Gear Member

Have you checked the wires on the starter to ensure they are tight? No dimming of the lights when the key is turned indicates no power being applied to the starter. Are you sure the cables are goo? Some have been known to corrode inside the insulation.
Old 02-09-2014, 08:06 AM
Number4

Originally Posted by Ericccc
Hi, new member, treat me nicely

So, I've got a Ford Mustang GT 2007 that I disconnected the battery from. This was a horrible mistake, because now it won't start.

I've checked both the battery and tried a new battery with no luck, the engine doesn't crank at all. There is no sign of life and a slight "clicking" or "tapping" noise coming from under the dashboard almost at all times.

I spent yesterday crawling under it and confirmed that the starter doesn't get any power.

The SecuriLock icon is slowly flashing on the instrument cluster.

I've got the feeling that it's something with the SecuriLock or some aftermarket alarm system that shut it down thinking it was a theft attempt - but I am not certain.

Is there anyone who's got any suggestions how to fix this?

It would be greatly appreciated.

My apologies for possible spelling errors, english is not my first language.

Thanks a lot!

Eric

Cables can corrode. Sometimes you can't tell by looking. One test is to bend the cable back and forth. Assuming your weather is above freezing, the cables should bend easily. If they crackle as you bend them, then corrosion has worked its way down. Also, primary ground could be bad. Clean or run a new ground. This may not have been an issue until you disturbed the cables.
Old 11-11-2017, 07:27 PM
Matthew Smith

Originally Posted by Number4
Cables can corrode. Sometimes you can't tell by looking. One test is to bend the cable back and forth. Assuming your weather is above freezing, the cables should bend easily. If they crackle as you bend them, then corrosion has worked its way down. Also, primary ground could be bad. Clean or run a new ground. This may not have been an issue until you disturbed the cables.
did you ever figure it out what was the problem