General Tech Ask model specific questions in the appropriate category below. All other general questions within.

CAI aftermarket and stock CAI help

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2014, 12:20 PM
JohnnyCho

Default CAI aftermarket and stock CAI help

I was reading some posts on CAIs and I was wondering canㅛ you tune your car with the factory air intake box? Also. Will that K&N filter fit on my car because juding by the picture shape and the shape of my box.. I dont think it will fit.
And if so, if I could do this, why people spend so much money on like airraid bbk. Does that spinning air filter thingy make such a difference?
If I tune my car right now, the only mod is an exhaust my car wont blow up right LOL
I have a 2010 mustang v6.
Old 03-01-2014, 12:41 PM
bryan67
2nd Gear Member

alot depends on the combination of Mods. yea you can do a tune to a stock car and get some small gains. There should be a K&n filter for your car just look up by application. Alot IMO depends on goal for the car, use of the car,(street/strip, road or autocross,etc. then the combination of mods to achieve that goal should all be considered. Had a shop for 8 years, be suprised how many guys come in with just a CAI and expect it to make all sort of extra power. They see adds and commercials so they go out spend a few hundred when really its Not needed. Now Put a CAI together with a good flowing exhaust and a tune you may pick up some decent numbers. But i have found with most of the newer 2010+ you can gain more performance upgrades from correcting the suspension and drivetrain 1st. These cars make decent base power. Then start going after HP. Again thats IMO. and with the v-6 1st thing i would do is get rid of the stock driveshaft.
Old 03-01-2014, 01:15 PM
JohnnyCho

Thats actually really true
I bought a used manual mustang and after replacing the clutch to a stage 1 the car is more responsive and I can feel it be a little faster.
Im only looking for a CAI or that filter thingy because in Texas its hot and when I come home I can feel my car radiating heat..
Would that K&N filter help me cool my car down.
I only want to tune it because.. why not?
Do you have any recommendations to tuners
Old 03-01-2014, 02:48 PM
bryan67
2nd Gear Member

well CAI wont help with reducing underhood temps after a hot day of driving. What they do is help to bring outside air into the intake instead of heated air from under the hood. If your looking to try and cool engine down look into ceramic coated exhaust headers, adding vents or or hood scoop to allow more air flow. As per Tuners. Get 1 that has custom tuning ability and that will hold multiple tunes. Sct,Diablo,Bully to name a few, all make decent products. All depends what you want to spend and what options you want on it.
Old 03-01-2014, 02:55 PM
JohnnyCho

So I looked up the drop in CAIs..
And I found the SR filter.
Do you know anything about that? Would yoy recommend it/
Oh I thought they cool your car down....
Old 03-01-2014, 02:59 PM
JohnnyCho

If the SR drop in filter is just a filter and you place it into the box..
What exactly does it do???
Old 03-01-2014, 05:09 PM
bryan67
2nd Gear Member

supposed to give better air flow then stock style filter.