General Tech Ask model specific questions in the appropriate category below. All other general questions within.

Do I need a torque wrench?

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-2005, 03:13 PM
nyjets10
1st Gear Member

Default Do I need a torque wrench?

The instructions for my SLP LM II's say i need to torque down the flanges on the h-pipe to 26 foot-pounds. I'm certainly not buying a torque wrench and don't feel like renting one for tightening the 4 bolts or whatever it is on those flanges. Can I just tighten it with a regular wrench or is it neccesary to torque it down? Also, can anyone estimate how tight 26 foot-pounds is?

Thanks
Old 10-10-2005, 03:18 PM
03YellowPony
6th Gear Member

Default RE: Do I need a torque wrench?

No you don't "need" a torque wrench. Just tighten them up good. and try to keep it even. And yes, I could est 26ft/lbs of torque, but not over the internet. That's almost impossible. I would also recommend re-torqueing the bolts after you run it.
Old 10-10-2005, 04:59 PM
Fallstar01
4th Gear Member

Toque wrench from home-depot (husky) isn't bad. Much cheaper than snap-on, even way cheaper than craftsman. It's a worthwhile investment if you plan to work on cars alot.
Old 10-10-2005, 05:15 PM
T1H5ON
1st Gear Member

i just cranked down like a **** on all the bolts when i put my catback on
Old 10-10-2005, 05:21 PM
Dan04COBRA
Super Moderator

I think I paid like 15 bucks for a torque wrench?

It's good for a lot of things, especially when putting wheels on. Doesn't take much to wreck some chrome wheels by overtightening.
Old 10-10-2005, 05:22 PM
redass02gt
EXTREME Moderation

if you want to do it right, use the torque wrench. that's why torque specs exist. over tightening can ruin things just as undertightening can.
Old 10-10-2005, 05:24 PM
Derf00
Gentleman's Relish

ORIGINAL: nyjets10

The instructions for my SLP LM II's say i need to torque down the flanges on the h-pipe to 26 foot-pounds. I'm certainly not buying a torque wrench and don't feel like renting one for tightening the 4 bolts or whatever it is on those flanges. Can I just tighten it with a regular wrench or is it neccesary to torque it down? Also, can anyone estimate how tight 26 foot-pounds is?

Thanks
Is a torque wrench 'required' no, but it's a good idea. Especially when you have heat involved. If the bolts are too tight or loose, you may get warping which will cause an exhaust leak. Some parts it's a necessity (heads/manifolds/suspension) because one bolt being too loose over another and it could cause some damage or just have the same problem you had before (manifold could get a gasket leak)

There's also the possibility of overtightening which could cause a crack. You can wing it on a the exhaust pipes (not the manifold). If you overtighten you may bust-a-nut or if you undertighten, it may come loose and cause a leak. $25 is not a bad investment for a cheap torque wrench at Autozone or Pep Boys. Why take shortcuts when you obviously want to make your car better?
Old 10-10-2005, 06:21 PM
blueangelfightr
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Derf00

ORIGINAL: nyjets10

Thanks
Is a torque wrench 'required' no, but it's a good idea. Especially when you have heat involved. If the bolts are too tight or loose, you may get warping which will cause an exhaust leak. Some parts it's a necessity (heads/manifolds/suspension) because one bolt being too loose over another and it could cause some damage or just have the same problem you had before (manifold could get a gasket leak)

There's also the possibility of overtightening which could cause a crack. You can wing it on a the exhaust pipes (not the manifold). If you overtighten you may bust-a-nut or if you undertighten, it may come loose and cause a leak. $25 is not a bad investment for a cheap torque wrench at Autozone or Pep Boys. Why take shortcuts when you obviously want to make your car better?
Wise man. I couldn't have said it better myself.
Old 10-10-2005, 11:39 PM
DaGGer
4th Gear Member

if you could tell how much weight you are putting on the wrench them you can do the calculations yourself and be one kick *** jimmy rigging mother ****er.
Old 10-10-2005, 11:44 PM
Moparman87
3rd Gear Member

I just got one for $10 at canadian tire

Quick Reply: Do I need a torque wrench?