General Tech Ask model specific questions in the appropriate category below. All other general questions within.

Moving from Southern California to Colorado Springs 2002

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2014, 10:45 AM
ToastTheRabbit

Default Moving from Southern California to Colorado Springs 2002

I have a 2002 Convertible Mustang with the V-6 and the automatic trans.

Colorado Springs is considered "High Altitude" or so I have been told. I am a little rusty so forgive me if this sounds like a dumb question...

What will I need to do to adapt my Mustang if anything. It is my primary vehicle so I know a posi upgrade for the 7.5 (will fix that rear bearing in its death throws while I am at it) and snow tires are pretty much mandatory. Will I need a re-flash on my ECU? I've seen some complaints in forums but some did not mention weather it was stock tune or custom.

My Mustang is 100% stock, 90k miles and ofcourse its due for basic maint (which I will do when I arrive)

Trying to think of anything else that would be relevant. I am towing it on a carrier so I wont know what the effects are until I take my first drive, If I need it tuned, I can just leave it at a dealership, save my cat converters the stress.

Also, anyone have experience driving non posi in snow with tips to share? ASIDE from the usual drive safe, drive sane, drive for the conditions.. Growing up in Michigan I learned 2 things watching people drive in winter, 1. Ford Ranger 2WD are worthless in snow, 2. Ford Mustangs are worse.
Old 05-01-2014, 03:17 PM
rjstubbl
1st Gear Member

I drove mine last winter with Michelin X-Ice 3's and it was impressive. I had no issues getting thru the snow. It was the first time I eve had snow tires and I will have them from now on for winter.
Old 05-01-2014, 03:23 PM
shouldhavegottheGT
2nd Gear Member

I do of work all over Denver and Colorado Springs . I'm up there a few weeks a month. You really don't need to do anything different. The winters aren't too bad. It does get cold but the roads are very well taken care of. I always have rental cars and they never put snow tires or anything in them. I typically get mid level cars like a Focus or Carolla. They do fine. It's when you are driving to the western slope like Vail or Grand Junction that can get dicey.

I wouldn't get winter tires either. The winter is kind of nuts. One day its snowy and 20 degrees, the next its 70 and sunny. This happens pretty much Nov-May. More often than not its pretty sunny.