General Tech Ask model specific questions in the appropriate category below. All other general questions within.
Old 10-16-2015, 12:40 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: General Overview
Print Wikipost

KEYFOB HELP! I am about to give up.

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-2014, 03:40 PM
AzPete
4th Gear Member

How do you know the key fob is functioning? I would not trust those testers. If the key fob is not accepting the programming, then it is not fully functional. Get another replacement and try it. I had some odd issues doing the same with my '02. A brand new set of the same numbers would not work. Got another set and all was good. The first new set worked good on our 08 Mustang and on our 00 Focus.........what can I say. These were the $5 specials from Amazon...currently all are working good.

Might stop by your dealer and see if anyone has an old one in a desk drawer. I have picked up several that way.

Do you only have one key fob? Is another vehicle close, or keys to another vehicle close? I have heard that the signals can get crossed....
Old 09-09-2014, 12:38 PM
modded_v6_04

Originally Posted by AzPete
How do you know the key fob is functioning? I would not trust those testers. If the key fob is not accepting the programming, then it is not fully functional. Get another replacement and try it. I had some odd issues doing the same with my '02. A brand new set of the same numbers would not work. Got another set and all was good. The first new set worked good on our 08 Mustang and on our 00 Focus.........what can I say. These were the $5 specials from Amazon...currently all are working good.

Might stop by your dealer and see if anyone has an old one in a desk drawer. I have picked up several that way.

Do you only have one key fob? Is another vehicle close, or keys to another vehicle close? I have heard that the signals can get crossed....
I haven't considered other keys or vehicles being a factor. I'll try it not around other vehicles and just my key and see if that plays a factor. Also the tester at auto zone seemed pretty accurate in past experiences. I am calling the company who made the fob today to see if they will send a replacement if it doesn't work.

Also could the signal receive have gone bad?
Old 09-09-2014, 01:27 PM
AzPete
4th Gear Member

Anything is possible of going bad, but I have never seen a receiver go bad.

Do you have anyone close you could try changing one of their remotes (for same car) and see if it accepts that.

Since you bought that one from AutoZone, they should exchange it for you based on it not working.
Old 09-09-2014, 01:42 PM
AzPete
4th Gear Member

A thought...

I failed to leave the key in the start position on the 8th turn the first time I did one of these.....