General Tech Ask model specific questions in the appropriate category below. All other general questions within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

HELP PLEASE Poor Transmission Shift Quality after picking up from Dealer

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2015, 09:34 PM
15Mustang

Default HELP PLEASE Poor Transmission Shift Quality after picking up from Dealer

I recently purchased a brand new 2015 Mustang GT (with 32 miles on it) and when I brought it home I noticed the door brushed against the front fender when I opened it which caused paint damage. It seems the front fender had been misaligned.

So I took it to a local Ford dealership, Bozard Ford, which confirmed it, they took pictures of the paint damage, and got authorization for warranty repair. They then took it to Greg's Auto (~7 miles away) where Greg’s did the following paint repair according to both the Ford service manager and assistant service manager (on my brand new car less than a week old):

The paint and clear coat were also further damaged on the car somehow in the process. The dealership then acknowledged the paint repair wasn’t right and could be sent back for proper paint repair.

So, I chose to bring my car home from the dealership (and later bring it back), and when I drove away in my Mustang with ~244 miles, I immediately noticed the manual transmission didn’t shift right (it always shifted perfectly when I dropped it off). The transmission would basically now bind, catch, subtly grind and then pop into 4th gear at low RPMs in a very odd two stage process. It absolutely NEVER did this before I dropped it at the dealership. In addition, third and fourth now made a louder thud going into gear. The transmission shift quality was significantly, noticeably degraded after I picked it up from the dealership. (In addition, they somehow managed 12.6 MPG while the dealership had it). Two other people have driven it and confirmed my concern.

What would cause this really poor shift quality? What type of damage? What should I do?

Update 2/4: Transmission now has serious problems at 244 miles on odometer! While with the Ford dealership for warranty paint repair and door/fender alignment, the manual transmission shift quality became VERY poor in 4th gear. So at 244 miles on the odometer it's now got manual transmission and paint problems!

Update 2/18: After talking to the dealership service manager, GM, and Ford I have still not been offered a brand new transmission for the car. Anyone with experience with rebuilds or rebuilt transmissions?

Update 3/9: Test drove a brand new 2015 Mustang GT Manual at Autonation Ford Jacksonville where I confirmed that a new Mustang GT manual does NOT exhibit the same shift problem.

Update 3/12: No resolution reached despite dozens of phone calls to Ford and dealerships. Still have serious transmission problems with 4th gear.

Update 3/14: For additional confirmation, took it to an independent transmission repair shop 3/14 with 996 miles on it where the mechanic confirmed a transmission problem exists.

Update 3/19: Unable to get transmission fixed (at all) up to this point.

Update 3/20: Seems like more dealership run-around and denials etc...

Update 3/24: Another independent repair shop drives car 3/24 and mechanic said there def. is a problem with transmission. Believed to be bad syncros. Though, a Ford dealership still has NOT given me anything in writing that lists a problem they could find with transmission.

Update 4/4: 2 months, still working on getting transmission/car fixed and resolved. I want to thank everyone who has supported me by responding to my thread and viewing my Youtube videos! The more responses and views I get, the more support I have. I have received a lot of great advice from all of you, my fellow car enthusiasts. Sharing my experience is about helping others avoid what has happened to me. Please wish me luck, your support is always much appreciated.

Update 4/13: I am deciding if I should bring my Mustang in to a Ford dealership again (or move to plan B). Two independent repair shops already confirmed the transmission problem, so one would think a Ford dealership will eventually fix it (or maybe they never will). I will post updates to help everyone. Thanks for all your responses and support guys!

Update 4/19: Still Not Fixed. Plan B. It's been a tough couple months for me.

**My terrible experience is now on a lot of websites and forums. I will try to include latest updates in my appeal to Ford below**

I requested transmission fluid be changed to check for metal deposits etc, but could not get authorization/approval. Anyone know why?

Last edited by 15Mustang; 04-19-2015 at 11:51 PM.
Old 02-08-2015, 11:03 AM
steve694

First thing's first, the door/fender gap looks fine, so I have no idea how it would hit the fender when you open it. Even when you opened the door in the video there seems to be no noticeable hitting, rubbing or unusual noise.

As for the 12.6 MPG, that's easy to explain. They probably test drove your car to ensure quality and left it idling at the dealership for a while. Constant idling will kill your mpg's, so I wouldn't worry about that.

The repair they did is a punch to the face. I'm blown away anyone would do that to a brand new car.

Now to remedy the situation, you need the door resprayed and the fender blended.

If what you're saying is true, which by the way seems very far fetched, I would bitch and moan until they bought your car back and replaced it with a new one.
Old 02-08-2015, 11:59 AM
cruisin5268d
4th Gear Member

I have no idea why they would need to test drive your car for a paint issue. It sounds like they took your car for a joy ride and abused it. I always record my mileage before dropping it off. And, after seeing the horror stories here, I will leave a note taped to the dash announcing that they do not have my permission to take the vehicle off the property without contacting me first and/or my presence. I don't trust these scumbags.
Old 02-09-2015, 08:57 PM
15Mustang

Originally Posted by steve694
First thing's first, the door/fender gap looks fine, so I have no idea how it would hit the fender when you open it. Even when you opened the door in the video there seems to be no noticeable hitting, rubbing or unusual noise.

As for the 12.6 MPG, that's easy to explain. They probably test drove your car to ensure quality and left it idling at the dealership for a while. Constant idling will kill your mpg's, so I wouldn't worry about that.

If what you're saying is true, which by the way seems very far fetched, I would bitch and moan until they bought your car back and replaced it with a new one.
The fender/door gap is hard to see in the video since its black on black, but the last picture in the video shows it better. The dealership also confirmed it with their own eyes and took pics. It was brushing/contacting the fender when opened, there is a forum on this at SVTperformance.

Yes, it is true it may have been idling; I realize that. Or maybe they drove it like they stole it...
Old 02-10-2015, 01:23 PM
FordService
Official Ford Rep

Originally Posted by 15Mustang
I recently purchased a brand new 2015 Mustang GT (with 32 miles on it) and when I brought it home I noticed the door brushed against the front fender when I opened it which caused paint damage. It seems the front fender had been misaligned:

So I took it to a local Ford dealership which confirmed it, they took pictures of the paint damage, and got authorization for warranty repair. They then took it to Greg's Auto (~7 miles away) where Greg’s did the following paint repair according to both the Ford service manager and assistant service manager (on my brand new car less than a week old):

The paint and clear coat were also further damaged on the car somehow in the process. The dealership then acknowledged the paint repair wasn’t right and could be sent back for proper paint repair.

So, I chose to bring my car home from the dealership (and later bring it back), and when I drove away in my Mustang with ~244 miles, I immediately noticed the manual transmission didn’t shift right (it always shifted perfectly when I dropped it off). The transmission would basically now bind, catch, subtly grind and then pop into 4th gear at low RPMs in a very odd two stage process. It absolutely NEVER did this before I dropped it at the dealership. In addition, third and fourth now made a louder thud going into gear. The transmission shift quality was significantly, noticeably degraded after I picked it up from the dealership. (In addition, they somehow managed 12.6 MPG while the dealership had it). Two other people have driven it and confirmed my concern.

What would cause this really poor shift quality? What type of damage? What should I do? I notified the service manager who maintains they did nothing to the car while in their possession.
Not sure if you saw my other post, but be sure to PM me with your info so I can help, 15Mustang.

Deysha
Old 02-10-2015, 11:46 PM
15Mustang

Originally Posted by FordService
Not sure if you saw my other post, but be sure to PM me with your info so I can help, 15Mustang.

Deysha
Hi Deysha, I am having trouble locating the PM option. Does anyone know where to find this? You or someone can also email me at jsven006@gmail.com if they want
Old 02-10-2015, 11:49 PM
ekurtz

This is my first post...

I have an 07 base model automatic transmission with 70k on the odometer. 2 weeks ago, my car wouldn't shift into reverse and was stuck in 2nd (redlining at 45mph). I had the tranny replaced with a junkyard tranny w/ 56k miles on it. After I got my car back, it seems like it's excessively loud when accelerating on the highway (60-70mph).

I would appreciate any knowledge on the situation from anyone. Maybe they didn't fill the fluid properly...error in installation...punctured my exhaust...installed bad tranny...

What should I do??
Old 02-10-2015, 11:49 PM
15Mustang

Originally Posted by cruisin5268d
I have no idea why they would need to test drive your car for a paint issue. It sounds like they took your car for a joy ride and abused it. I always record my mileage before dropping it off. And, after seeing the horror stories here, I will leave a note taped to the dash announcing that they do not have my permission to take the vehicle off the property without contacting me first and/or my presence. I don't trust these scumbags.
It seems Mustang 5.0s are fun to drive, a little too fun! I like the idea of the note on the dash, I think I will borrow that
Old 02-11-2015, 10:05 AM
FordService
Official Ford Rep

Originally Posted by 15Mustang
Hi Deysha, I am having trouble locating the PM option. Does anyone know where to find this? You or someone can also email me at jsven006@gmail.com if they want
I believe you can’t access it due to the amount of posts you have, 15Mustang.

Originally Posted by ekurtz
This is my first post...
I have an 07 base model automatic transmission with 70k on the odometer. 2 weeks ago, my car wouldn't shift into reverse and was stuck in 2nd (redlining at 45mph). I had the tranny replaced with a junkyard tranny w/ 56k miles on it. After I got my car back, it seems like it's excessively loud when accelerating on the highway (60-70mph).

I would appreciate any knowledge on the situation from anyone. Maybe they didn't fill the fluid properly...error in installation...punctured my exhaust...installed bad tranny...

What should I do??
You are welcome to contact the service department at your nearest Ford Dealer, ekurtz. The service manager is in the best position to ensure a proper diagnosis and advise you of any next steps.

Also, remember most paid repairs done at a Ford Dealer come with a 24 months/unlimited miles warranty. You can schedule an appointment online here.

Deysha
Old 02-11-2015, 07:15 PM
15Mustang

Originally Posted by FordService
I believe you can’t access it due to the amount of posts you have, 15Mustang.

Deysha

Thanks for info, working on more posts now.

Last edited by 15Mustang; 03-21-2015 at 11:55 PM.

Quick Reply: HELP PLEASE Poor Transmission Shift Quality after picking up from Dealer