General Tech Ask model specific questions in the appropriate category below. All other general questions within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Best way to connect new igntion coil plug

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2015, 04:39 PM
ryan1994mustang
4th Gear Member

Default Best way to connect new igntion coil plug

Hey guys, Been a while since I have been around here, but I am running into a wall with some car issues. I have a 94 gt with about 215k on the clock and have been having some starting issues as of the past couple of months. It all began with the car having cold cranking issues, but would usually start with a jump no problem. Eventually it began having trouble even with a jump. I did a full tune up (plugs, wires, cap, rotor, fuel filter) and things seemed to improve a bit, but still not perfect. eventually I took it to my mechanic and he said it was probably the fuel pump, so i ordered one. Before it arrived I had to get the car jumped, but it stalled out on my way home and I ended up getting it towed. After the FP came in, mechanic checked fuel pressure and said it was fine, then after diagnostics, we figured out that we weren't getting spark from the coil, so it was probably either coil or ignition control module. I replaced the coil, then still got no start, but noticed that the plug going into the bottom of the coil was cracked and not making a good connection. I took the metal connectors out of the plastic plug and put them directly on the blades of the coil and everything was running great. I ordered a new plug and then wired it in, and the issues have begun again. I initially put it on with butt connectors, and was having problems starting, and noticed that the plug they gave me had the + and - wires on the wrong side. Switched those around, and still no good. I then put the old coil back on and everything was running fine for a few days. Then issues again, switched to twist connectors and those didnt do much good, so I went back to butt connectors and still no luck. Just took the ignition control module out and had it tested (all good). So the only thing I can think that is wrong is that my wiring skills are terrible. Is there a better way to connect these wires than butt connectors? Would it be best to solder them in? I feel like that wouldn't be flexible enough, but what do I know. Also, is there anything that anyone else can think of that would be causing this problem? Sorry for the massive post, just trying to get all the info out there on the first time around. Thanks for any help.
Old 04-08-2015, 02:59 AM
petrock
4th Gear Member

Have you checked the battery? A low or failing battery can cause the problems you describe. As for the wiring, soldering and heat shrink is almost always the best option. It is way more durable, resistant to vibration & corruption and an overall better connection then butt connectors. For small wires like theses you don’t need a fancy soldering iron. Anything between 15W & 45W will do and can be had for around $20. There are tons of tutorials online about how to solder two wires together. It’s really simple once you get the hang of it. It’s also a good idea to practice on some scrap wire before doing it on the real wiring harness. Good luck...
Old 04-08-2015, 07:41 AM
88 orangepeel notch
6th Gear Member

With that many miles, I'd also look at the battery cables. Both + and -, and verify all connections are clean and tight. A bad ground can cause all sorts of problems.