General Tech Ask model specific questions in the appropriate category below. All other general questions within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Question on ESP for 2015 Mustang GT

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-2015, 10:45 PM
warwickbass

Default Question on ESP for 2015 Mustang GT

I went to a dealer last night and haggled a bit on an automatic 2015 Mustang GT Premium. He ultimately agreed to a 5-year/100K-mile bumper-to-bumper warranty for just under $2600. Is that a good deal? As soon as I sell my car, I'm going back to dealership to buy the GT. Should I tell him to drop it? Or renegotiate a lower price? What about buying an extended warranty outside the dealership? I plan to keep the car for at least five years and I'd like to do some simply CAI/exhaust bolt-ons. Thanks!
Old 07-07-2015, 11:11 PM
cruisin5268d
4th Gear Member

HOLY COW! That is more than DOUBLE what you should pay for the service plan.

You can get the Premium Care Ford ESP online for less than $1,000. Your dealer is raping you. Shop around online for the genuine Ford ESPs and compare the different plans. Premium care is the top tier but if your vehicle is not equipped with the extras the Premium plan covers then you can save more by getting one of the lesser plans.

Seriously, shop around. You can buy the ESP for a good price at any point you want. You can spread the ESP payments out for up to a year with no interest - I would avoid including it in your vehicle purchase at all costs.
Old 07-07-2015, 11:16 PM
warwickbass

Originally Posted by cruisin5268d
HOLY COW! That is more than DOUBLE what you should pay for the service plan.

You can get the Premium Care Ford ESP online for less than $1,000. Your dealer is raping you. Shop around online for the genuine Ford ESPs and compare the different plans. Premium care is the top tier but if your vehicle is not equipped with the extras the Premium plan covers then you can save more by getting one of the lesser plans.

Seriously, shop around. You can buy the ESP for a good price at any point you want. You can spread the ESP payments out for up to a year with no interest - I would avoid including it in your vehicle purchase at all costs.
Wow! Even for bumper-to-bumper? Well, it's the GT Premium trim, and as best as I can remember, it's pretty loaded, so I might get the Premium plan online. I'll definitely shop around. Thanks for the heads-up.

Hopefully, I'll sell my car tomorrow and then head to dealer. I wonder if they'll pitch a fit about not including the ESP. They initially tried to include GAP insurance.
Old 07-07-2015, 11:24 PM
cruisin5268d
4th Gear Member

There's only one Premiumcare - and it's essentially "bumper to bumper," minus parts that are normally excluded like belts and the such. Here's the thing with the ESP - it will do VERY LITTLE for you until the factory 3/36,000 warranty expires. Check out the features of the different plans and compare it to the vehicle you are buying. This isn't anything complicated to do.

Why are you worried about them throwing a fit? It's YOUR money. If they give you grief then walk out and buy from another dealer. Never let a dealership control the negotiations, pressure you, or walk over you. They rape you with the ESP and GAP insurance to squeeze every last dollar from you. It breaks my heart when I hear about people that spent $3k-6k more on a vehicle then they should have.

Remember, you don't have to buy it now. You can buy it at a discounted price as long as the 3/36,000 warranty is still in effect - BUT the 5 year term starts on the date you purchased the vehicle. Ford isn't going to offer an ESP that doesn't generate more profit, so keep that in mind and read the fine print. Most people won't get their money's worth out of the ESP - and you will never get your money's worth at $2,600.
Old 07-07-2015, 11:31 PM
warwickbass

There's only one Premiumcare - and it's essentially "bumper to bumper," minus parts that are normally excluded like belts and the such. Here's the thing with the ESP - it will do VERY LITTLE for you until the factory 3/36,000 warranty expires. Check out the features of the different plans and compare it to the vehicle you are buying. This isn't anything complicated to do.

Why are you worried about them throwing a fit? It's YOUR money. If they give you grief then walk out and buy from another dealer. Never let a dealership control the negotiations, pressure you, or walk over you. They rape you with the ESP and GAP insurance to squeeze every last dollar from you. It breaks my heart when I hear about people that spent $3k-6k more on a vehicle then they should have.

Remember, you don't have to buy it now. You can buy it at a discounted price as long as the 3/36,000 warranty is still in effect - BUT the 5 year term starts on the date you purchased the vehicle. Ford isn't going to offer an ESP that doesn't generate more profit, so keep that in mind and read the fine print. Most people won't get their money's worth out of the ESP - and you will never get your money's worth at $2,600.
Okay. I'll have to do some research on the plans later. After reading what you wrote, you'll love this. They initially wanted to charge $3600 for the ESP! After I complained that the GM warranty was better, the third offer included the discounted ESP. The total was still simply too high for me and the trade-in too low, so I said that I would have to think about it. However, unless I'm simply naive, the sale price for the GT is actually not bad at around $36K.
Old 07-07-2015, 11:41 PM
cruisin5268d
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by warwickbass
Okay. I'll have to do some research on the plans later. After reading what you wrote, you'll love this. They initially wanted to charge $3600 for the ESP! After I complained that the GM warranty was better, the third offer included the discounted ESP. The total was still simply too high for me and the trade-in too low, so I said that I would have to think about it. However, unless I'm simply naive, the sale price for the GT is actually not bad at around $36K.
What is the sticker price? Also, you can pull the window sticker up online and check out the features.

I can't even comprehend the $3,600. If it were me I'd never return to that dealer as I refuse to support dishonest practices like that. Which dealership was this?

Post back here if you have questions or you can PM me. This is one of those times where this form can really do some help and save someone huge amounts of cash.

One last tip - if the deal doesn't look good then walk away. A) You've seen already they are quick to drop the price to keep you there and B) There will always be a better deal down the road. It's amazing how good walking out of the dealership without a deal works to motivate them to give you a fair offer.
Old 07-07-2015, 11:44 PM
warwickbass

What is the sticker price? Also, you can pull the window sticker up online and check out the features.

I can't even comprehend the $3,600. If it were me I'd never return to that dealer as I refuse to support dishonest practices like that. Which dealership was this?

Post back here if you have questions or you can PM me. This is one of those times where this form can really do some help and save someone huge amounts of cash.

One last tip - if the deal doesn't look good then walk away. A) You've seen already they are quick to drop the price to keep you there and B) There will always be a better deal down the road. It's amazing how good walking out of the dealership without a deal works to motivate them to give you a fair offer.
I don't see a PM option, just one to post to your wall.
Old 07-07-2015, 11:50 PM
warwickbass

To be fair, they simply included it in the first offer, and he did not pressure me to buy the ESP. I was not aware of the better prices online for an ESP, though.
Old 07-07-2015, 11:59 PM
cruisin5268d
4th Gear Member

Click on my username on the left. On the User info page you'll see my name in black letters. Right below that is the "Send Message" option on the left. You may not have enough posts to PM.

If that doesn't work we can go to plan B.
Old 07-08-2015, 12:01 AM
warwickbass

Click on my username on the left. On the User info page you'll see my name in black letters. Right below that is the "Send Message" option on the left. You may not have enough posts to PM.

If that doesn't work we can go to plan B.
I'll just post the specs here:
MSRP $41,100

Included Packages

Wheels: 20" x 9" Foundry Black Painted Machined ($1,295)
Tires: 265/35R20 Summer-Only

Transmission: 6-Speed SelectShift Automatic ($1,195)
3.15 Limited Slip Axle Ratio
Leather Wrapped Shift ****
Remote Start System

Enhanced Security Package ($395)
Active Anti-Theft System
Wheel Locking Kit

Equipment Group 400A ($0)
Engine: 5.0L Ti-VCT V8
Transmission: 6-Speed Manual
Tires: 18"
Wheels: 18" x 8" Magnetic Painted/Machined
Leather Bucket Seats