General Tech Ask model specific questions in the appropriate category below. All other general questions within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

AC Help! (please!) 2000 Mustang GT

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-2015, 06:53 PM
MXBT187

Exclamation AC Help! (please!) 2000 Mustang GT

This is my first ever post - so if it's in the wrong section or something, my apologies.

My AC went out over the winter. I've finally gotten around to fixing it (I have a convertible and usually just ride top down in the summer), but hit a roadblock and am completely lost. If someone could help with troubleshooting that would be awesome.

Here are the steps I've taken:

1. Initially, I bought a can of AC Pro. Didn't seem to need it.

2. I did some research, and jumped the low pressure switch by using the paperclip trick. F*cking perfect. The compressor kicked in, and ice cold air! I'm so pumped it looks like an easy fix!!

3. I buy the switch (I'm assuming this is the correct one?:
Amazon.com: Motorcraft YH1462 Clutch Cycling Switch: Automotive Amazon.com: Motorcraft YH1462 Clutch Cycling Switch: Automotive
) and install it.

It does this weird thing where the compressor runs for a second and then turns off....and then runs and then turns off. It doesn't stay on long enough to get cold air. When I jump it, I still get ice cold air.

4. During the course of troubleshooting, something gets screwed up and I can no longer get the compressor to turn on, even by jumping it. (possible causes: I touched the paper clip to car metal causing sparks while the car was jumped; I may have inserted the paper clip too deep)

5. I order a replacement connector, thinking that may be the issue. (
Amazon.com: Ford A/C Cycling Pressure Switch Harness Connector: Automotive Amazon.com: Ford A/C Cycling Pressure Switch Harness Connector: Automotive
am an amateur at electrical work, but as far as I can tell, I replace the connector. Still no luck. Compressor wont budge. Can't jump the low pressure switch.

HELP?!?!?! Any idea where to start?? Really hoping not to have to bring it to the shop - I have feeling it's related to the low pressure switch seeing as how I initially jumped it and got cold air.

Thanks guys!
Old 08-19-2015, 05:31 PM
Sandmanbjj
2nd Gear Member

Default AC Help! (please!) 2000 Mustang GT

My first thought is to check the fuses.
Jumping switches like that and chances are it popped a fuse.
Take the belt off and try turning the compressor. If you can't budge it, you may have locked it up.
Old 08-20-2015, 02:36 AM
dawson1112
5th Gear Member

Find the fuse that you blew, and then charge the system.

HI/LO switch was bad, you fixed it, but in the process you opened the system to the atmosphere and lost refrigerant. That is why the system was kicking the compressor on and off.