General Tech Ask model specific questions in the appropriate category below. All other general questions within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

squeak noise from brakes, went away after switching back to winter wheels

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-2015, 07:41 PM
rextos
1st Gear Member

Default squeak noise from brakes, went away after switching back to winter wheels

about a month or 2 ago i have been noticing a squeaking noise when i hit the brakes, figured it may have been because the weather was getting colder, didn't think much of it (amr 18" wheels) but yesterday I switched back to my winter wheels (stock 17s with goodyear snow tires) and noticed the squeaking has stopped completely!!! I am thinking there could be 2 reasons, what do you guys think?

1. this spring when i put on my summer wheels, i torqued them down to 100lft/lbs but i did not ever retorque them (i just recently found out that its best to retorque aluminum wheels after 50 miles after you put them on), and i noticed when taking the wheels off, a couple of the lug nuts felt super loose and i didnt even have to hardly use any energy to loosen them... could that cause a squeaking noise when braking?

2. yesterday before i switched to my winter wheels, i took the car to a DIY and sprayed it down really good (been a couple months since last wash...) so was thinking maybe some dirt/salt/crud was stuck in there somewhere making the squeak?

what do you guys think? could it be anything else?

thanks

Last edited by rextos; 12-19-2015 at 08:04 PM.
Old 12-19-2015, 08:10 PM
rextos
1st Gear Member

also another question i have, when i go to check my wheels again, should i just turn them to see if they are loose, or should i put the 100ft/lb torque wrench and try to turn each lugnut until it clicks on the wrench? if it clicks does that mean it wont tight past 100ft/lb? i think i heard someone once tell me you only want to click once because if you click more than once you will over tighten.

so to re torque do i just give every lugnut another click?

Last edited by rextos; 12-19-2015 at 08:42 PM.
Old 12-19-2015, 09:19 PM
Urambo Tauro
3rd Gear Member

Re-torquing doesn't mean checking to see if it's loose. Re-torquing means checking to see that it's tight. And properly torqued.

The wrench must always be stored at it lowest torque setting, so dial it back up and turn each lugnut until it clicks. Stop turning immediately when you hear the click, because it will overtighten if you continue to force it.

And pay attention when you go to re-torque. If it clicks without you having turned the nut at all, you can probably skip the whole re-torque procedure in the future.
Old 12-20-2015, 06:15 AM
rextos
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Urambo Tauro
Re-torquing doesn't mean checking to see if it's loose. Re-torquing means checking to see that it's tight. And properly torqued.

The wrench must always be stored at it lowest torque setting, so dial it back up and turn each lugnut until it clicks. Stop turning immediately when you hear the click, because it will overtighten if you continue to force it.

And pay attention when you go to re-torque. If it clicks without you having turned the nut at all, you can probably skip the whole re-torque procedure in the future.
gotcha, thanks a lot!
Old 12-20-2015, 07:43 AM
rextos
1st Gear Member

i just retorqued them and pretty much all the lugnuts except 1 were already at 100ft/lb.... but i notice that they say that aluminum wheels need to be retorqued... i know my summer wheels are aluminum, but are these stock wheels also aluminum?

here's the stock wheels that i got on snow tires, this is not my mustang but the only pic i found online with the same wheels ( i would have taken a pic but i forgot my phone and its too cold to go back out lol) are these aluminum?