General Tech Ask model specific questions in the appropriate category below. All other general questions within.

2006 mustang gt pulls to the right when using summer wheels?

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2016, 11:03 AM
Simon1
5th Gear Member

It's not the alignment. It's the tires. You need to take the 2 front tires that are on the front of the car unmount them and swap them from side to side. They call this radial pull and it's not that uncommon. I just got a brand new set of nittos awhile back and they had to be swapped from side to side.

Sometimes when you do have radial pull driving the vehicle will cause it to cure itself. However it doesn't always and it's annoying.
Old 03-05-2016, 11:50 AM
rextos
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Simon1
It's not the alignment. It's the tires. You need to take the 2 front tires that are on the front of the car unmount them and swap them from side to side. They call this radial pull and it's not that uncommon. I just got a brand new set of nittos awhile back and they had to be swapped from side to side.

Sometimes when you do have radial pull driving the vehicle will cause it to cure itself. However it doesn't always and it's annoying.

ahh, so is this more common with directional tires?

so basically i need to take my front right wheel and switch it with front left, even though it will be in wrong direction?
Old 03-05-2016, 12:03 PM
barstowpo
2nd Gear Member

Glad it worked out.
Old 03-06-2016, 01:37 AM
Simon1
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by rextos
ahh, so is this more common with directional tires?

so basically i need to take my front right wheel and switch it with front left, even though it will be in wrong direction?
No. Take it to the shop you bought the tires at. Tell them the problem. Tell them to remove the front wheels and tires and dismount the tires and swap to the other wheels. If they are directional this is what your will have to do.

I would assume running the tires in the wrong direction will make them pull weird. The radials have steel wrapping in the tire and swapping directions between sides will make then do funny things. My wife's car had it and my cat had it. It's not uncommon.
Old 03-06-2016, 06:01 AM
rextos
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Simon1
No. Take it to the shop you bought the tires at. Tell them the problem. Tell them to remove the front wheels and tires and dismount the tires and swap to the other wheels. If they are directional this is what your will have to do.

I would assume running the tires in the wrong direction will make them pull weird. The radials have steel wrapping in the tire and swapping directions between sides will make then do funny things. My wife's car had it and my cat had it. It's not uncommon.
right on, actually i got these tires like 1.5 years ago from americanmuscle.com (mounted and balanced with the amr rims) so there's not much hope calling them at this point lol and tbh i hate buying tires online for these reasons but i didnt know back then, but im thinking for now its ok and maybe next year i can get myself some nice asymmetrical all season tires from a sears or the dealer or whoever gives the best price. and after they put it on i will ask them to sit for a test drive with me before i leave to cover all our bases, and if there is an issue it will be sorted out then

Last edited by rextos; 03-06-2016 at 06:11 AM.
Old 03-06-2016, 06:51 AM
rextos
1st Gear Member

its so stupid, why do manufacturers even bother making directional tires when they do nothing but cause problems?? everybody should only make asymmetrical tires. it would suck so much if ya had staggered setup AND directional tires, you would pretty much need to replace each tire on its own every time something went wrong!!
Old 03-06-2016, 09:12 AM
barstowpo
2nd Gear Member

Directional tires do serve a purpose especially in wet weather. Tires pump out water in the rain. Imagine running a pump backwards. Just make sure when dismounting and remounting tires, they stay on the same side.
Old 03-06-2016, 10:48 PM
Simon1
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by rextos
its so stupid, why do manufacturers even bother making directional tires when they do nothing but cause problems?? everybody should only make asymmetrical tires. it would suck so much if ya had staggered setup AND directional tires, you would pretty much need to replace each tire on its own every time something went wrong!!
I have directional and staggered. I replace the fronts when needed, both at the same time and I love it.

Having performance like I do comes at some price. And it is a pita at times.