Is Synthetic Oil Really Better Than Conventional Oil? - Page 2 - MustangForums.com

Go Back  MustangForums.com > Ford Mustang Tech > General Tech
Reload this Page >

Is Synthetic Oil Really Better Than Conventional Oil?

General Tech Ask model specific questions in the appropriate category below. All other general questions within.

Is Synthetic Oil Really Better Than Conventional Oil?

Old 07-01-2016, 10:38 AM
TRamsdell
IN JAIL!

i know the oil doesn't touch the exhaust port directly, but it cools the head which the exhaust port is part of so the oil indirectly cools that as well
Old 07-14-2016, 12:22 AM
oldb

New to this forum. I go through several hundred gallons of oil where I work a year. I am constantly comparing oils and reading oil samples. I ask a lot of questions of the suppliers, and call the oil tech lines often.
Far and away the best source of information on oils and oil weights is the web site:
bobistheoilguy.com there is more information there than you could ever need to know, a very interesting web site.

B
Old 07-22-2016, 12:26 PM
MustangForums Editor
MustangForums Editor

Default good video

here's another good resource on the topic...
https://mustangforums.com/articles/i...heck-this-out/
Old 07-25-2016, 01:57 PM
Derf00
6th Gear Member

Being at work without audio on my PC (with just really bad closed captioning from the video) it really seems like he's confusing the topics. Instead of using a 15W-40 conventional oil vs a 5w-40 Synthetic to talk about Viscosity AND protection. He should've used ONE weight for both oils then talked about it. Especially that pour test. Of Course a 15w is not going to flow as well at freezing temps as a 5w. That's irrelevant of whether it's a conventional oil, syn blend, or fully synthetic. It's the nature of oil and WHY they have a W rating.

To me, It would be more valid to do that frozen pour test with a synth and conventional of the same W rating. That's my nit pick.