General Tech Ask model specific questions in the appropriate category below. All other general questions within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Is Synthetic Oil Really Better Than Conventional Oil?

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2016, 03:05 PM
MustangForums Editor
MustangForums Editor

Default Is Synthetic Oil Really Better Than Conventional Oil?

To show you which oil is better, the folks from Royal Purple take a Harley Davidson V-twin and use conventional oil in the first test, and synthetic in the next.

Read the rest on the Mustang Forums homepage. >>
Old 06-21-2016, 12:18 AM
Urambo Tauro
3rd Gear Member

Seems like a pretty good test. Would be neat to see a V8, though...

I couldn't help but chuckle at the guy pouring the oil; he must not have watched this video:
Old 06-21-2016, 04:32 AM
jz78817
4th Gear Member

Seems like a pretty good test. Would be neat to see a V8, though...
Why? An air/oil cooled engine is probably the harshest test you could come up with for a motor oil, especially if it doesn't have any kind of fan pushing air past it. These motherf***ers get hot, especially when you're stuck in traffic. Motorcycles (well, mostly Harley and Polaris at this point) are the last bastion of air cooled engines, and I expect they'll be replaced with water cooled engines within a few years.
Old 06-21-2016, 10:26 AM
Urambo Tauro
3rd Gear Member

Just for the sake of the visual.

I'm not suggesting that a larger/water-cooled engine would be a better version of this test. The example they used was a good choice, but it would have been neat if the video was a little longer so that it could include multiple types of engines. Thermal cameras offer fascinating and insightful views that we don't often get to see.
Old 06-21-2016, 10:39 AM
movielover40
4th Gear Member

Been a user of Mobil One for 20 years now..
Old 06-21-2016, 12:36 PM
jz78817
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Urambo Tauro
Just for the sake of the visual.

I'm not suggesting that a larger/water-cooled engine would be a better version of this test. The example they used was a good choice, but it would have been neat if the video was a little longer so that it could include multiple types of engines. Thermal cameras offer fascinating and insightful views that we don't often get to see.
yep. at a previous job we did USCAR testing for wiring and connectors, and we used thermal imaging cameras for those tests. basically we were certifying that the connecter pins/receptacles were suitable for the claimed current rating; we'd run the rated current through them for a period of time and monitor them with the cameras. if we saw the temperature of the contacts rise more than a certain amount, the connectors failed the test.
Old 06-28-2016, 09:28 PM
Mr. D
4th Gear Member

This what I think I know:

Synthetic oil gives bearings a greater margin of safety because it takes a higher temperature to break down its lubricating qualities! In terms of cost I think you can run a synthetic oil at least twice as long as a Dino oil. Toyota recommends 10K oil changes. I think there are two bases for synthetic oil. The synthetic oil sold at Walmart under the Tech 2000 Trade Mark is likely the lesser quality base I would guess, but still plenty good for any regular driving purposes. I have used it in a car for 51K miles with no problem. I use the Standard Mobil One in my Mustang. I suspect the more expensive Mobil One Extended Service costs more to "simply" replace an engine now & then for advertising! I'm just guessing on that one. Often products charge more to create a profit to cover the very few warranties they back.

I may be all wet in my opinion, but as I said, "This what I think I know!" It's worth what I charged you!
Old 06-30-2016, 07:32 PM
WJBertrand
2nd Gear Member

Not sure I understand how synthetic oil can effect the exhaust port temperature???
Old 07-01-2016, 03:21 AM
Mr. D
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by WJBertrand
Not sure I understand how synthetic oil can effect the exhaust port temperature???
Oil operates as both lubricant & coolant.... so maybe! Just guessing!
Old 07-01-2016, 06:55 AM
User 92421
IN JAIL!

Originally Posted by WJBertrand
basically, by pulling heat from anything it touches. the exhaust port is just the hottest part we see. fuel mixture is going to be way more effective at keeping that engine cool, not saying it's rigged but I wouldn't switch to syn based on temp savings especially when 11 degrees is pfft. I would switch to syn based on its other properties. also make sure if you run syn and are going 10k or so on it, that you are changing the filter every 3-5k ESPECIALLY if it's an older motor made for dino oil.