General Tech Ask model specific questions in the appropriate category below. All other general questions within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

where ya recommend to get tranny fluid changed?

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-2016, 09:16 AM
rextos
1st Gear Member

Default where ya recommend to get tranny fluid changed?

i got an 06 gt automatic with about 55k miles, and the manual says to change it every 30k miles, and people tell me that the ford sealed transmissions usually change about 100k, so i wanna change it every 50k miles just to be safe.

the ford dealer wants about 250$!! but there is an aamco in my town that says they can do it for 150$ ? is that a good place or should i just go to the ford dealer? where do you guys recommend?

thanks
Old 09-20-2016, 03:07 PM
Derf00
Gentleman's Relish

Uh no, I wouldn't wait for 100K. These trannys are very sensitive to broken down fluid and unless you live in a frozen wasteland your fluid gets hot. Heat breaks down fluid, broken down fluid accelerates wear, that in turn destroys your transmission.

Find out how Amaco is doing it. Ford flushes the system out completely so the entire system has fresh fluid.

If aamco is only draining what's in the pan and refilling, that's only about 1/2 or less.

If your dealer is charging $250, they're over charging you for just a fluid flush. Mine does it for $170. Find out exactly what they are doing and if they are still charging that much just for a fluid swap, find another dealer.
Old 09-20-2016, 03:21 PM
rextos
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Derf00
Uh no, I wouldn't wait for 100K. These trannys are very sensitive to broken down fluid and unless you live in a frozen wasteland your fluid gets hot. Heat breaks down fluid, broken down fluid accelerates wear, that in turn destroys your transmission.

Find out how Amaco is doing it. Ford flushes the system out completely so the entire system has fresh fluid.

If aamco is only draining what's in the pan and refilling, that's only about 1/2 or less.

If your dealer is charging $250, they're over charging you for just a fluid flush. Mine does it for $170. Find out exactly what they are doing and if they are still charging that much just for a fluid swap, find another dealer.
right on thanks, i talked to aamco and they said they got a machine and they can drop the pan and change the filter too for about 180$

but hey i thought flushing was the only way you can change the transmission fluid on these cars right? cus its a sealed system and theres no way to put fluid in from the top, so the only way you can really change the fluid is to suck it out and refill it with proprietary machine, right?

sucks cus i called the local ford dealer and all the ford dealers in like a 1 hour radius and they all want about 250$ :/

im sure aamco will do a good job though, they specialize in transmission and the guy seems to know what he is talking about unlike the "service managers" at the ford dealers i called who said "oh well with those cars you don't even have to think about changing the tranny fluid til 100k" - yeah i bet he'd love it if i waited til 100k wouldnt he, act like he is trying to save me the highway robbery for tranny fluid change now, only to gut me for thousands later down the road!! aamco ftw!! (i hope)

Last edited by rextos; 09-20-2016 at 03:29 PM.