General Tech Ask model specific questions in the appropriate category below. All other general questions within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

what do you recommend i do for my situation? (snow tire question)

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-2016, 05:27 AM
rextos
1st Gear Member

Default what do you recommend i do for my situation? (snow tire question)

i was living in michigan and i bought 17" snow tires and wheels, but because of the way my life is things are pretty unpredictable and i have to move a lot, so after 2 years i had to sell the snow tires and wheels for a huge loss and moved to florida.

but planning to move back north again and currently have 18" wheels, so should i just by 18" snow tires and just have them mounted and balanced every winter? because if i move again in a couple years i dont want to again have to take a huge loss on the wheels. do they make 18" snow tires? how much more expensive are they than 17" ? is that my best bet? otherwise i was thinking of trading in for an accord or camry, but even with my 09 gt premium 55k miles, i can only get a 4 cylinder accord or camry with 70k+ miles, which is a BS trade i think, so thinking it would be a much bigger loss to trade it in rather than just buy snow tires.

Last edited by rextos; 11-02-2016 at 05:30 AM.
Old 11-02-2016, 05:30 AM
User 92421
IN JAIL!

Originally Posted by rextos
i was living in michigan and i bought 17" snow tires and wheels, but because of the way my life is things are pretty unpredictable and i have to move a lot, so after 2 years i had to sell the snow tires and wheels for a huge loss and moved to florida.

but planning to move back north again and currently have 18" wheels, so should i just by 18" snow tires and just have them mounted and balanced every winter? because if i move again in a couple years i dont want to again have to take a huge loss on the wheels. do they make 18" snow tires? how much more expensive are they than 17" ? is that my best bet? otherwise i was thinking of trading in for an accord or camry, but even with my 09 gt premium 55k miles, i can only get a 4 cylinder accord or camry with 70k+ miles, which is a BS trade i think.
buy the smallest steel wheels that will fit your car(tire rack) then buy snow tires that fit them and will bring overall height to original tire size.
Old 11-02-2016, 05:35 AM
rextos
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by TRamsdell
buy the smallest steel wheels that will fit your car(tire rack) then buy snow tires that fit them and will bring overall height to original tire size.
right on, do you guys know if 16" wheels will fit an 05-09 gt? or is 17" the smallest?
Old 11-02-2016, 06:54 AM
User 92421
IN JAIL!

run your y/m/m through tire rack they usually only recomend sizes that will fit. heck it's been a while, 16's may fit depending on offset. if you do have contact with the caliper a QUALITY set of spacers may be needed. remember that with steel even if it looks like you've cleared the caliper the wheel can flex when cornering so ou'll want a little extra clearance. once you know what size you can get away with junkyard wheels can be had for about half the cost. when buying used steel make sure its not bent or too rusted at the bead area. you can check them for straight by spinning them on a balancer without a tire and watch runout compared to a fixed point. without a balancer maybe a straight edge could suffice in a pinch
Old 11-02-2016, 06:57 AM
JimC

Originally Posted by rextos
right on, do you guys know if 16" wheels will fit an 05-09 gt? or is 17" the smallest?
16" wheels won't fit the GT - front caliper mounts put the it out too far. Smallest you can go is a 17"
Old 11-02-2016, 07:28 AM
proeagles
4th Gear Member

Tire rack can provide everything you need in one package ready to install. You could also go to a junk yard and get OEM wheels for cheap and install snows on them.
Old 11-02-2016, 07:54 AM
User 92421
IN JAIL!

Originally Posted by proeagles
Tire rack can provide everything you need in one package ready to install. You could also go to a junk yard and get OEM wheels for cheap and install snows on them.
+1on jy oem wheels, you can get oe wheels cheaper than aftermarket new and they are going to fit for sure.