General Tech Ask model specific questions in the appropriate category below. All other general questions within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Value of motor - Rebuild-able 03 Mach 1 motor

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-2016, 12:24 PM
ovrrdrive

Default Value of motor - Rebuild-able 03 Mach 1 motor

Sorry to drop in and make a post but I need to dump this motor to recoup what I just spent on buying a replacement motor for my kid. He's probably a member here, dunno.

What we have is a 03 mach 1 4v motor that ran low on oil and probably spun a bearing. The motor runs but has a knock in the bottom end. I drove up to GA and got a replacement motor for it and had it put in and it seems to me there should be some value in the old motor to a motorhead that can do the work himself and want to have one of these motors in his car.

I'm thinking advertise it around $1k and settle for $500-800 for it. Does that sound about right?

Getting the motor and having them swapped out ran me right at $6500. He's going to pay it all back but I'd like to dump this quick to get some of it back sooner if possible.

This is not a classified ad. If there is interest here pm me and I'll run a proper ad on the site for it. I'm hoping to dump it locally to make it easier. I don't have a lift at home so I'll probably have it in the back of my truck until it sells.

Anyone have an idea what a fair asking price would be for it?

TIA.
Old 11-12-2016, 07:17 AM
88 orangepeel notch
6th Gear Member

Welcome to the forum. Sorry I can't help.

If you don't get an answer here, try the 94-04 Tech section, there's usually more members in that section.

Good luck and hats off to you for being a pretty cool Dad.
Old 11-12-2016, 12:34 PM
Z28KLR
4th Gear Member

Based on your description of the engine's condition, I think the $500 - $800 range you're willing to settle for is fair. The difficulty though is going to be in selling a non-running engine at any price, it really requires finding the right buyer. Damage may or may not be limited to the main bearings and crank, could also be some oil starvation related wear on the top of the engine; one of those situations where you really don't know until you tear it down.

If you can't sell it as-is, tear it down and rebuild. Those engines seem to go for $3K+ on ebay so if you can do the bulk of the work yourself you shouldn't have any problem making your money back on that + recouping a little bit of the new engine's cost.
Old 11-12-2016, 01:43 PM
ovrrdrive

Originally Posted by 88 orangepeel notch
Welcome to the forum. Sorry I can't help.

If you don't get an answer here, try the 94-04 Tech section, there's usually more members in that section.

Good luck and hats off to you for being a pretty cool Dad.
I figured it must have been the wrong forum. If it doesn't get a few more responses I'll repost it.

And thanks.
Old 11-12-2016, 01:46 PM
ovrrdrive

Originally Posted by Z28KLR
Based on your description of the engine's condition, I think the $500 - $800 range you're willing to settle for is fair. The difficulty though is going to be in selling a non-running engine at any price, it really requires finding the right buyer. Damage may or may not be limited to the main bearings and crank, could also be some oil starvation related wear on the top of the engine; one of those situations where you really don't know until you tear it down.

If you can't sell it as-is, tear it down and rebuild. Those engines seem to go for $3K+ on ebay so if you can do the bulk of the work yourself you shouldn't have any problem making your money back on that + recouping a little bit of the new engine's cost.
The motor I found at MPS for it had 69k on it and I paid $3299 for it. That's why I figured there must be a market for the motor even though it needs work. Ford quit making replacements for it or I would have just bought a new one for it. My only options were to find a salvage motor or to find someone to rebuild it. Since there aren't any good rebuilders in my area we opted for the salvage. Hopefully this one is in as good of condition as it looked. Time will tell.

On another forum I got a suggestion to part it out if I don't find a buyer for the whole thing. that sounds like an option if we can't sell it but also sounds like a hassle.

It would be fun to go in and see what the damage is. Who knows?
Old 11-17-2016, 10:37 AM
movielover40
4th Gear Member

If motor is out of the car put it on an engine stand and see if you can find someone to rebuild it for you.

Are there any speed shops nearby? They will rebuild the motor.

Motor is worth a whole lot more running vs. non running.