MustangForums.com

MustangForums.com (https://mustangforums.com/forum/index.php)
-   General Tech (https://mustangforums.com/forum/general-tech-6/)
-   -   Car wont start after mods - weird noise - watch video (https://mustangforums.com/forum/general-tech/72956-car-wont-start-after-mods-weird-noise-watch-video.html)

Lex8109 10-26-2005 01:31 AM

Car wont start after mods - weird noise - watch video

Like a dummy, I installed three things at once, a Dual XMD7700 MP3 Player, Steeda Tri-Ax shifter, and K&N FIPK2. Had some bumps along the way but I finally installed everything. Went to turn on my car and I hear this noise coming from the tranny area. (Watch the video and you'll see) So I begin to think that I did something wrong with the shifter and I take it off and remove the extra rubber gasket that I installed. Put it back on same thing. This time though, my lights go out. Now it seems to me that the problem is battery related and the sound I hear is the starter? I never had a problem with the battery before.

1) Is this indeed a battery problem?
2) Is the sound I hear the starter or the tranny?
3) Assuming the battery is in good condition, could a wiring mistake with the radio cause the circuitry to constantly drain it?

Click here to watch

dc_mann8 10-26-2005 02:03 AM

RE: Car wont start after mods - weird noise - watch video

is it "click" sounds like a wiring problem for sure.. not shifter at all, try boosting it see if u connected a live to a constant live instead of one that live with the key on.

waxyourboard 10-26-2005 01:52 PM

Sounds like you gots yourself a dead battery. If you havent replaced your battery within the past 2-5 years, it's definitely the battery. Even if it shows 12 volts and your lights work, it's probably just a surface charge.

On the head unit topic, there's really no way to make a wiring mistake to drain the battery... unless you ground out one of the wires... then you'd probably start a fire.

To tell if it's the battery, have someone jump start you. If it starts and runs fine, it's the battery. If it doesnt.... you have some more serious issues.

MikeHawke 10-26-2005 04:17 PM

did you disconnect the battery when you were doing the wiring for the stereo?

Tim37 10-26-2005 04:42 PM

if you didn't disconnect the battery and you had the hood open and the doors open all day working on your car then the interior lights could have drained a bad battery.

Lex8109 10-26-2005 08:03 PM

Yes, I did disconnect the battery. Im going to go jump start it tonight. What is the noise from the video though? Is it the starter?

waxyourboard 10-26-2005 10:37 PM

Yeah, it's either the starter or the relay, it's just something that happens when the battery gets low and doesnt pull enough amps to crank the engine

Lex8109 10-27-2005 12:54 AM

It started!!! I left the battery negative terminal unhooked all night and all day, and it regained enough juice to start the car!

Now, I'm going to leave it connected overnight to see if the battery drains or not.

waxyourboard 10-27-2005 02:24 AM

Good deal, did you remember to run it long enough for the alternator to charge the battery? Last time i jumped some girl's car for her... she turned it off immediately. We had to jump it again. She wasnt the brightest crayon in the shed.

Lex8109 10-28-2005 01:13 AM

Yea, I even drove around the block.

Anyway, it was totally a drained battery. Has been working ever since.

Love the shorter shifts. The K&N really livened up the car (I think the cooler air helps a bit too.) It also makes this wiked whiny noise now, almost like a supercharger but obviously not as loud and powerful. I knew it was supposed to make more "suction noise" or whatever, but this is just music to my ears. Next up - pulleys!