General Tech Ask model specific questions in the appropriate category below. All other general questions within.

1989 5.0 STOCK , Supercharger install questions

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2017, 01:16 AM
Carder97

Question 1989 5.0 STOCK , Supercharger install questions

First post,..Anyways.Have a 1989 mustang Gt 5.0 5 speed.86K miles ALL STOCK EXCEPT EXHAUST AND X PIPE! .Has a/c and smog still.. I DO NOT WANT TO HACK THIS CAR UP ,Much to clean and original. Would like to go with a simple vortec V-3 SL sci supercharger to add a little Hp and fun.Do I need an upgraded fuel pump? Injectors? Mass air flow sensor? Throttle body? Chip? What all needs to be done? Very mechanically inclined with small engines.New to car mods.Thanks
Old 03-16-2017, 06:45 AM
88 orangepeel notch
6th Gear Member

Yes, you'll need supporting mods.

Fuel pump, bigger injectors, and a tune are required. Other mods listed aren't required but will let the blower work more efficiently.

Welcome to the forum by the way. I'd recommend using the search feature and dig up old threads and start reading. This will probably educate you in all the do's and don'ts more than I can. There's a ton of info here, just gotta find it lol.

Good luck
Old 03-16-2017, 12:04 PM
Carder97

Default 1989 5.0 STOCK supercharger install questions

I've been searching and Have came arcrossa few anwser,But those are my main few.Do you know what stock injectors are? What size I need to upgrade to? What fuel pump do I buy? Is there a specific brand that won't break the bank? And what chip do you reccomend? Sorry for all the questions lol
Old 03-17-2017, 06:38 AM
88 orangepeel notch
6th Gear Member

Stock injectors are 19lbs. What size injectors and fuel pump is determined by how much boost your going to stuff in there. Don't go with a mail order chip, you'll need to find a local dyno and have them tune it on that. Then they'll burn you a custom chip specific to your needs.

And just so you know, your bank will be broken by the end lol.

Definitely keep reading the old threads that cover all this. There are hundreds of build threads that cover every detail involved. You'll be reading for days....

Good luck and start saving up because more power will cause the next weakest link to break. Tranny, axles, body flex... Etc.