General Tech Ask model specific questions in the appropriate category below. All other general questions within.

Help! Sprung door and hinge repair on 96 mustang gt

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2017, 11:54 PM
Robert4876

Exclamation Help! Sprung door and hinge repair on 96 mustang gt

So I backed up with my door open and it was bent pretty far back, it shuts but can only open about halfway now. Which makes getting in and out difficult, and kind of embarrassing. I've heard of some other people putting a socket or something in the door to put it back in place, but i don't want to damage anything else and don't know much about door and hinge repairs. Dont know if i should try this method or buy new hinges or what, Just wanted some other opinions about how I should go about fixing this without paying too much to have it repaired professionally. Thanks!
Attached Thumbnails Help! Sprung door and hinge repair on 96 mustang gt-20170216_105019.jpg   Help! Sprung door and hinge repair on 96 mustang gt-20170324_204943.jpg   Help! Sprung door and hinge repair on 96 mustang gt-20170324_204821.jpg  
Old 03-25-2017, 09:09 AM
88 orangepeel notch
6th Gear Member

Welcome to the forum.

I don't know your mechanical ability, but if you have alittle common sense and can turn a wrench, I think you can get that looking kinda presentable. Just study it carefully to see what's gotta be pushed or pulled back in place. Then use your ingenuity to get it done. Don't think of the metal panels or body as hard metal. It can be molded or formed to fit as needed. It's actually a very soft metal in some areas.

Otherwise you can get a quote from a local body shop, it might not be as much as​ you think.
Old 03-25-2017, 10:42 AM
Urambo Tauro
3rd Gear Member

Welcome!

It looks like the door opened extra wide, bending the skin AT the hinges, so you might be able to get away with just bending the skin back into place.

Hopefully the angle of the door when it made contact didn't knock the door out of alignment. You say it still shuts; is the gap at the rear edge of the door the same as it is on the passenger side?

Last edited by Urambo Tauro; 03-25-2017 at 10:49 AM.
Old 03-27-2017, 07:02 PM
Robert4876

The gaps look about the same on the side of the door, maybe a bit of a bigger gap but nothing to noticeable. The roller on the bottom hinge looks like it popped out towards the front of the car or something. I tried getting a socket in the bottom hinge from inside to shut the door back into place a little but it won't open far enough to get anything in there really. If I buy both hinges on the Internet and replace them do I need to weld or cut the pins? Or would It be a pretty easy repair?