General Tech Ask model specific questions in the appropriate category below. All other general questions within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Gas smell and rough idl

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2017, 10:07 AM
Dizzy2217

Default Gas smell and rough idl

I had just bought a 98 mustang by it has 128k miles it had a code for the purge canister so I replaced it but it's been a week and I still smell gas what could it be and it also has a rough idle the Rom gauge when idling at time bounces about 400 to 500 rooms back an forth but not all the time any ideas
Old 04-18-2017, 06:34 AM
88 orangepeel notch
6th Gear Member

Did you reset the codes after the new canister was installed ? Are you getting any more codes for anything ? Sounds like you have a cracked/broken vacuum line that's allowing gas fumes out, and unmetered air in screwing up your AFR that your computer can't compensate for, thus the rough idle.

And just to help us out in future posts, please us punctuation and proper spelling. It's hard to read a whole paragraph as one sentence with misspelled words and abbreviations.

Good luck and post back with what you find.
Old 04-18-2017, 06:51 AM
Dizzy2217

Default Gas smell

Sorry I'm on my phone an it becomes time consuming and tedious. Anyway yes I reset the code. Now I have p1151 bank 2 upstream o2 sensor going off. Says it will not switch.
Old 04-19-2017, 04:52 AM
dawson1112
5th Gear Member

P1151
Indicates a lean system bank 2 lack of switching. It means that your PCM has detected a lean condition, tried to compensate but saw no switching of the voltage during the self diagnostics. In other words it tried really hard to fix the lean condition but saw no change in 02 values even though it has reached its maximum fuel trim.

Simple things to try,
Clean MAF sensor, it could simply not be seeing the air thats passing through, making the PCM detect excess oxygen in the exhaust compared to what the MAF readings say should be there.

Vacuum leaks, since its a bank 2 sensor issue it could have a leaking intake runner on that side of the engine.

Leaking exhaust at the exhaust manifold or any where before the upstream 02 sensor. Any time you have a leak in the exhaust , it will not only blow exhaust gasses out, it will also suck some air into it. This will cause an 02 DTC to be set.

Short or open circuit in the 02 harness, check plug for corrosion or broken loose frayed wires.

Faulty 02 sensor,, this would be the final thing id chang.

Start with cleaning the MAF as it is the simplest thing you can do. Then visually inspect for vacuum leaks, you may need to have a smoke test done if you have a leak on one of the intake runners or leak from a faulty fuel injector O-ring.