General Tech Ask model specific questions in the appropriate category below. All other general questions within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

best cheap rear rotors and pads?

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-2017, 10:06 AM
rextos
1st Gear Member

Default best cheap rear rotors and pads?

Need to replace my rear rotors and pads, 06 gt, 60k miles...i feel like 60k miles is a bit early to have brakes wear out already, especially since i'm a pretty conservative driver! so i don't want to go OEM again.

Also I can't tell, are the OEM pads ceramic? if not is it good to use ceramic pads on these cars?

i was looking at these 2 kits on AM, which should i get?

xtreme stop?

http://www.americanmuscle.com/xtreme...rear-0510.html

or hawk performance?

http://www.americanmuscle.com/hawk-s...rear-0514.html

I know lot of people get HPS type pads for track performance, but my car is a DD/fun cruiser so I don't want those 'performance brakes' that you need to warm up to get working properly. just want what is best for DD.

thanks!

Last edited by rextos; 06-22-2017 at 10:10 AM.
Old 06-22-2017, 12:00 PM
Z28KLR
4th Gear Member

Either I'm sure would be fine, but it looks like you'll be buying none of the above since both are listed as "out of stock".

Both are street use pads, require no warming up or whatever.
Old 06-22-2017, 01:53 PM
Derf00
Gentleman's Relish

Originally Posted by rextos
Need to replace my rear rotors and pads, 06 gt, 60k miles...i feel like 60k miles is a bit early to have brakes wear out already, especially since i'm a pretty conservative driver! so i don't want to go OEM again.

Also I can't tell, are the OEM pads ceramic? if not is it good to use ceramic pads on these cars?

i was looking at these 2 kits on AM, which should i get?

xtreme stop?

http://www.americanmuscle.com/xtreme...rear-0510.html

or hawk performance?

http://www.americanmuscle.com/hawk-s...rear-0514.html

I know lot of people get HPS type pads for track performance, but my car is a DD/fun cruiser so I don't want those 'performance brakes' that you need to warm up to get working properly. just want what is best for DD.

thanks!
OEMS are not ceramic. Ceramics would have a slight warm up to get full stopping power.

60K I would say is average. Auto or manual? Lots of hills or pretty flat? Do you drag the brakes or use them a lot by hopping from the gas to the brake and back-and-forth a lot, or do you coast?
Old 06-22-2017, 02:47 PM
rextos
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Derf00
OEMS are not ceramic. Ceramics would have a slight warm up to get full stopping power.

60K I would say is average. Auto or manual? Lots of hills or pretty flat? Do you drag the brakes or use them a lot by hopping from the gas to the brake and back-and-forth a lot, or do you coast?
Auto, pretty flat. I'm pretty conservative with the brakes, I'll slow down slowly, and lot of times if i'm approaching a red light i try to lightly press the brakes/coast to slow down but not come to a complete stop so that the light can turn green before I get to it.

Would you recommend ceramic pads or the OEM pads?

Or should I maybe get aftermarket rotors + OEM pads to save some money?

Just looking for the best comfortable DD street setup, not worried about track performance.
Old 06-22-2017, 03:05 PM
Z28KLR
4th Gear Member

Get a good set of ceramic pads, de-glaze your existing rotors unless they need to be replaced. If they need to be replaced, I would go with plain blank rotors or if you feel like spending the extra money then slotted.

To de-glaze, I have a 5" round sanding pad (uses stick-on paper) that goes on to my drill. I just pull the rotors off and rough up both sides with 40 grit sandpaper until it's mostly bright metal exposed.. Google "bedding new brake pads" and follow the procedure. If you get new rotors, also Google how to season new rotors (basically the same as bedding pads, but there are some slight differences in how-to).

Be sure to flush all of the old fluid out. Starting at passenger rear, pump/flush until it comes out clean. With fresh fluid and properly bedded pads you will notice a nice difference in brake performance and feel.
Old 06-23-2017, 08:56 AM
proeagles
4th Gear Member

You will need a special tool to replace the rear pads that most people don't know about when working on Fords. It screws the puck back into the caliper, you just can't press it back in like on the fronts. Just a thought.
Old 06-23-2017, 09:31 AM
Z28KLR
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by proeagles
You will need a special tool to replace the rear pads that most people don't know about when working on Fords. It screws the puck back into the caliper, you just can't press it back in like on the fronts. Just a thought.
Your local parts store will have the tool you need available as a rental.
Old 06-23-2017, 01:17 PM
Derf00
Gentleman's Relish

Originally Posted by rextos
Auto, pretty flat. I'm pretty conservative with the brakes, I'll slow down slowly, and lot of times if i'm approaching a red light i try to lightly press the brakes/coast to slow down but not come to a complete stop so that the light can turn green before I get to it.

Would you recommend ceramic pads or the OEM pads?

Or should I maybe get aftermarket rotors + OEM pads to save some money?

Just looking for the best comfortable DD street setup, not worried about track performance.
So you drag the brakes

I wouldn't get OEM pads, too much propensity to get squealing with their formulation when you replace them.

I use Akebono brand ceramics myself (and on our other vehicles). They aren't too much more than OEM's and are really good for DD street driving. Very low dust too.