General Tech Ask model specific questions in the appropriate category below. All other general questions within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

A/C & Defroster buttons won't turn off

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-2017, 06:37 AM
DeAngelo28

Default A/C & Defroster buttons won't turn off

It just started 2 days ago when I got in to start my car and both the A/C and defroster were both on and I tried turning them off but it wouldn't work so I unplugged my battery thinking maybe that would help and it did for a good 2 minutes then they turned back on and now they won't turn off. Anybody know what the problem might be or how to fix the problem?
Old 08-02-2017, 10:03 AM
tw1234
1st Gear Member

Just a guess but the easiest thing to check would be the A/C Clutch Relay in the Battery Junction Box. Make sure the pull-in contacts aren't stuck together {welded}. Is this a manual or dual automatic system in your car? If Defrost is selected the A/C compressor will operate, regardless of idicator status, if temperature is above 43*F/6*C. This helps prevent windshield fogging.
Old 08-02-2017, 02:22 PM
DeAngelo28

Well it's an automatic and it's weird cause it's still been continuing to do the same thing until yesterday I unplugged the blower motor just so it would stop cause I live in Texas and driving with your defroster on in the middle of summer doesn't feel too good lol but it stopped blowing hot air and now this morning when starting my car it was blowing air but I could actually control it, it was almost like the problem never happened and after driving to work I parked got out and at lunch I left and the controls on my stereo worked but my ac did not. Now it's weird cause yesterday I unplugged it but this morning it was running perfect and now all that works is my stereo and I have the stock Shaker that it comes with
Old 08-03-2017, 12:38 AM
tw1234
1st Gear Member

Are you still on your original battery? If your car is a 2010 it's 7 years old and might need to be replaced. Battery clamps clean? Alternator putting out 13.8 - 14.2 at idle? Just throwing some checks out there. The dealer can run a diagnostic check with a scanner but that would cost you. I don't know if there's a manual way to check for HVAC codes.
Old 08-03-2017, 12:48 PM
DeAngelo28

I am so I guess that might have something to do with the problem, I'll change it out and see what happens, thanks for the help man