General Tech Ask model specific questions in the appropriate category below. All other general questions within.

Runs hot

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2018, 07:37 AM
Buck Sergeant
2nd Gear Member

Default Runs hot

edgraz, We are not through yet, I'm on a roll. For the over heating, when I installed dual electric fans on my 331 stroker, it overheated. I found out, to late, that the dual electric fans were only drawing 1500 cfm. Not enough for this motor. I installed a single fan drawing 3500 cfm, problem solved. I got burnt because I didn't follow my own standard of not installing any fan on modified small blocks that draws less than 2500 cfm. Now, the harmonic balancer. Thanks for running my suggested test. That eliminates another, possible, issue. But, I am starting to think, very dangerous, that your "balancer ring" might have slipped.This means the "elastomer" is separating from the harmonic balancer. This is not as uncommon as one might think. It was also a fatal flaw when I was building 500 hp chevy small blocks.
Old 01-13-2018, 11:29 PM
tw1234
1st Gear Member

I guess he'd have to remove the valve cover for #1 cylinder to check piston up TDC and both valves closed to verify timing mark on damper.
Old 01-14-2018, 07:17 AM
Buck Sergeant
2nd Gear Member

Default Runs hot

tw1234, yes, that is the beginning stage of checking the "internal" timing of the engine. Just be sure the valves are closed on the "compression/power" stroke, not the "exhaust" stroke.
I am still curious if when the engine was built if the camshaft was installed "standing straight up," or 180 out. I am still concerned about the possibility of the harmonic balancer slipping. Here is one of many ways to be sure you are on the compression/power stroke. Remove valve cover on PASSENGER Side.

Check cylinder #6.

When cylinder #1 is at TDC, the valves on #6 should overlap, meaning one opening and one closing at the same time.

If this is not the case, you´re on the exhaust stroke with #1.

Last edited by Buck Sergeant; 01-14-2018 at 07:29 AM. Reason: Added needed information
Old 01-14-2018, 08:49 AM
Buck Sergeant
2nd Gear Member

Default Runs hot

edgraz1941, Hope this doesn't add to the confusion, but this is interesting, from SUMMIT. Ford has used three different TDC (Top Dead Center) locations in the SB V8 engine family and to
accommodate all timing pointer locations, the SUMMIT Damper has been engraved with 3 sets of
timing marks, only one will be used in timing operations. To determine which set of timing marks to use
on your SUMMIT Damper you can either compare to the original Damper by aligning keyways and
marking the appropriate set of timing marks on the SUMMIT Damper which correspond to the timing
marks on the original Damper. Alternatively, on your engine, rotate the crankshaft until the key in the
crank snout is pointing straight up in the 12 o’clock position. Temporarily align the SUMMIT Damper
keyway with the key in the crank snout and observe which set of timing marks on the Damper lines up
with your timing pointer.[/COLOR]
Once you have determined which timing marks suit your engine, you may want to highlight the degree
mark for your initial timing setting (or full advance setting if you power time your engine) with paint, or
white-out. White or yellow will show up best.
Old 01-14-2018, 11:38 AM
edgraz1941

Wow Guys,
Thanks for the suggestions. I will follow up and let you know where I stand. If nothing else, I am relearning what I knew back in the 50's and 60's. Also grateful for you folks and our shared interest!!!!
Old 01-23-2018, 06:50 PM
edgraz1941

Hey Sarge,
You hit the nail on the head concerning slippage of the harmonic balancer. That was the issue and spotted it immediately upon removal. I ordered a new one and expect to see it this week. A mechanic neighbor of mine said he had never seen that in all his years. Thank you for the suggestion and I want to thank all who participated in my problem and offered various remedies. Cannot wait to get it back together!!!! What a bitch!!!
edgraz1941
Old 01-24-2018, 06:57 AM
Buck Sergeant
2nd Gear Member

Default Runs hot

edgraz1941, great news old buddy. Glad to have been of service. Buck Sergeant
Old 01-24-2018, 11:31 AM
tw1234
1st Gear Member

It'll be interesting to know how far off the timing was when you install the new balancer.