General Tech Ask model specific questions in the appropriate category below. All other general questions within.

do i need to get new rotors + pads? or can i just resurface rotors + new pads?

Old 09-11-2017, 06:15 AM
rextos
1st Gear Member

Default do i need to get new rotors + pads? or can i just resurface rotors + new pads?

06 gt, 60k miles, dealer said my rear breaks need to be replaced. and i agree because i can hear a faint squeal from them when i brake. But with only 60k miles, do I need to get new rotors and pads? or can i just buy new pads and have the rotors resurfaced? what about "turning the rotors"? is that basically where they just flip the rotor?

do i have to get new rotors? or can i just have them resurfaced or turned? this is my first time doing anything with the brakes on this car.
Old 09-11-2017, 06:32 AM
JimC

"turning the rotors" means that they run them through a lathe type machine to resurface them back to a flat surface. Depending upon wear they may not have enough metal to be turned.

Given the price differential, it may be more cost effective to just replace them though.
Old 09-11-2017, 08:01 AM
proeagles
4th Gear Member

Turning the rotors just makes them thinner and more prone to warping. It is always best to change rotors and pads at the same time.
Old 09-11-2017, 08:16 AM
rextos
1st Gear Member

Right on, thanks guys

Search this Thread