General Tech Ask model specific questions in the appropriate category below. All other general questions within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

88 lx 5.0 upgrade to 400hp & auto trans?

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-2017, 04:51 PM
semoorma

Default 88 lx 5.0 upgrade to 400hp & auto trans?

Starting a project car and trying to learn stuff as I go along. Working on body and suspension now. Looking down the road one thing I'm curious about is upgrading motor to 400 hp (thereabouts) and if the original automatic trans will handle the load.. Don't intend to run the car hard but would like to get on it every once in a while.
Old 10-29-2017, 04:23 PM
Buck Sergeant
2nd Gear Member

Default 88 lx 5.0 upgrade to 400 hp & auto trans ?

semoorma,this is a very dooable project. Build either a 331 stroker or a strong 308, and up pops 400 hp. Both motors can be hydraulic rollers.
As far as tranys go, in your application, I personally would use a strong C-4 auto. You have other trannys also, one of them is the AOD, a good choice because of the overdrive option. I would suggest a 3200 stall converter if you want to have a lot of fun.
I used a modified/upgraded AOD in our 308, on nitrous, and had no problem.
Also, good thinking on the suspension upgrades. No matter how much power you have, it is useless without proper traction. The first thing I did when I purchased my 2014 GT was to sink a ton of money into front and rear suspension upgrades.
Good luck with your project.