General Tech Ask model specific questions in the appropriate category below. All other general questions within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

2012 5.0 GT throttle sticks???

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-2017, 12:04 PM
rhondalura

Default 2012 5.0 GT throttle sticks???

No other way to label this topic, sorry. Only owned car for 2 years and when this first happened i thought i red lined. riding in 5th gear, passed a car and gas pedal literally pulled from my foot. Second time it happened was able to see i was only at about 4k rpm. not even close to red line. also happened while sitting in driveway and tried to rev the engine and it pulled the pedal to the floor. rev limit kicks in thankfully. Today, scared the $hit out of me and lasted for almost 1/2 mile. clutch in/out of gear and tried pumping the pedal to get it to unstick if nothing else and it took several times for it to stop. Any help would be appreciated.
Old 11-29-2017, 03:35 PM
Z28KLR
4th Gear Member

Sounds like cruise control is self activating and deciding to accelerate. Won't actually fix anything, but in the meantime while you're researching the issue and/or considering taking the car to a shop you could pull any fuses related to cruise control function and (if my guess is correct about what it is) that should make it stop.
Old 11-30-2017, 08:57 AM
rhondalura

Thank you, i will give this a try. However what concerns me most is how high the RPMs go while this happens. I mean the Rev Limiter kicks in, I'm quite certain if this was an older model car without the technology the engine would suffer greatly. I am no mechanic, i know just enough to get me into trouble and i also know enough that i was able to keep my cool and try some things before shutting it down. Manual trans helps with that. Appreciate the input.
Old 11-30-2017, 12:08 PM
Z28KLR
4th Gear Member

Sounds eerily similar to the Toyota Prius issue from a few years back.