General Tech Ask model specific questions in the appropriate category below. All other general questions within.

Slight and faint burning smell on start up/idle

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-2017, 12:28 PM
acaputo86

Exclamation Slight and faint burning smell on start up/idle

Hey guys im new to this forum but i was just wondering if anyone can help me out. I bought my 2016 mustang gt 5.0 six speed about a month ago with about 11300 miles on it so its fairly new. I notice sometimes upon start up that i smell a very faint but noticeable " burn like" smell. it lasts for only a few seconds then goes away. Every now and then it will return during the drive but rarely. I am not power shifting or riding the clutch i actually baby the damn thing. I have not even fully opened her up yet lol. The oil is fine, i cant notice anything out of the ordinary under the hood. The smell seems to be coming from the driver side fender closer to the windshield. Its not the brake pads or anything like that nor is any check engine lights on. Anybody have an idea what this could be? Is it something i should worry about? its well under warranty so i have no issues bringing it to my local ford dealer once i have an idea of where it might be coming from so i can let them know.

thanks guys!
Old 12-02-2017, 02:41 PM
Z28KLR
4th Gear Member

Where do you notice the scent? Inside the car, under the hood, coming from exhaust....? Only on cold starts or anytime it starts? If "anytime", maybe consider taking it to a shop where somebody with a more "expert" nose can tell you what it might be. May also consider reposting your question over in the S550 platform section here; good chance that somebody in there has experienced a similar issue and figured it out already.

Being that it goes away after a minute or whatever, it may just be exhaust related components heating up.
Old 12-04-2017, 11:08 AM
acaputo86

I notice it while I’m in the car and from under the hood. Happens sometimes on cold starts sometimes after or during the drive . I noticed it deepened when I had my defroster on this morning as well. Trying to do just a process of illimination I thought the exhaust as well but the defroster definitely threw me off guard. I’m going to take it to ford definitely and have them check it out because it’s surely noticeable. I’ll post it there as well to maybe get some more insight. Thanks for the advice and input!