How would you setup, beef up, a NOS Tremec T5z? - MustangForums.com

General Tech Ask model specific questions in the appropriate category below. All other general questions within.

Old 12-04-2017, 01:01 PM   #1
Fishfreq

Default How would you setup, beef up, a NOS Tremec T5z?

NOS Ford Racing HD T5z, about 10 yrs vintage

Hey guys, how would you beef up a wc 'HD Ford Racing Tremec T5z' before sticking it in? Appears it's the HD one like from a '90's cobra mustang. Found it on CL from a nice sbf Austin Healey race car that was built but never ran.

I'm swapping out my C4 auto for this on a mild 302 in a '68 mustang coupe, so I'll be slightly pushing the limit of the T5z's 325 ft lbs torque limit, and I'd like to find out if there are a couple things I can do now to ensure it lasts a little bit longer?

Couldn't afford a TKO600, so this will hafta do for now. It has a steel input shaft with the alum front bearing retainer. Should I replace that with a full steel unit?

How about that CNC counter gear stabilizer Rosehill and the YouTube tranny guy is selling?

What oil is best for that tranny? I've heard it needs an additive like a ltd slip diff, is that true?

Still pondering the right clutch setup - cable or hydro, but that's my other post...
Fishfreq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2017, 08:45 AM   #2
Buck Sergeant
2nd Gear Member

Default How would you setup, beefup, a NOS Tremec T5z ?

Fishfreg, do yourself a big favor and call the boys at ProMotion Performance Powertrains, 954-771-5575. I am running a 1987 foxbody with a 331, 450 rear wheel HP, soon to be abused with a 200 hit of juice. ProMotion has helped me to correct any T5z shortcomings. I still like the Tremec TKO 500, which ProPower makes a outstanding unit. As far as the tranny fluid goes,everyone has their own horse in the race. At the moment, I am using Standard ATF, Dex/Merc. If you prefer synthetic, Royal Purple Syncromesh is a good choice.
Buck Sergeant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2017, 03:25 PM   #3
Fishfreq

Default ProMotion Performance T5z

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buck Sergeant View Post
Fishfreg, do yourself a big favor and call the boys at ProMotion Performance Powertrains, 954-771-5575. I am running a 1987 foxbody with a 331, 450 rear wheel HP, soon to be abused with a 200 hit of juice. ProMotion has helped me to correct any T5z shortcomings. I still like the Tremec TKO 500, which ProPower makes a outstanding unit. As far as the tranny fluid goes,everyone has their own horse in the race. At the moment, I am using Standard ATF, Dex/Merc. If you prefer synthetic, Royal Purple Syncromesh is a good choice.
Thanks Buck,
I'll call them. You're running a T5z with that much hp and NOS? Wow they prob had to do major gear and shaft work to that light little tranny to keep it from exploding! T5's really are tiny transmissions, right? Yea I wish I could afford a TKO 500 or 600...

I've heard folks preferring std ATF as opposed to synthetic, especially in a later wc T5 with the carbon synchro rings - too much slick, slip is not a good thing for them, I'm told.
Fishfreq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2017, 12:43 PM   #4
Buck Sergeant
2nd Gear Member

Default How would you beef up a NOS tremec T5z ?

Fishfreg, my pit crew holds their ears every time I make my 1-2 shift, and 2-3 power shift. But confidence in Pro Motion is the best cure. I am still impressed that the OEM T5 held up to the 331 stroker, no nitrous. I got the T5z before I launched the T5. To be honest, if anything happens with this T5z, I will talk with Pro Motion about a bullet proof TKO 500. Hang in there, and don't miss any shifts.
Old 12-06-2017, 03:01 PM   #5
Buck Sergeant
2nd Gear Member

Default How would you beef up a NoS Tremec T5z ?

Fishfreg, just got some additional info. If you are just looking to rebuild your Ford Performance Super-Duty T-5 #FMS-M7003-Z into a bullet proof unit, give Astro Performance Warehouse a call #866-253-0019. My crew chief informed me this company is well known for its A5-gear kit. As usual, you get what you pay for.