General Tech Ask model specific questions in the appropriate category below. All other general questions within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

NEW 10-speed Automatic vs 6-speed

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-2017, 07:18 AM
GrandpaGreg

Question NEW 10-speed Automatic vs 6-speed

Can anyone advise the PROS & CONS of the NEW 10-speed automatic as compared to the 6-speed?
Old 11-28-2017, 08:41 AM
proeagles
4th Gear Member

It is awesome, better gas mileage, stays in the torque band longer. Can't think of a con.
Old 11-28-2017, 11:49 AM
ZGrand
2nd Gear Member

The con is you don't get the joy of swappin' cogs yourself.
Old 11-28-2017, 12:56 PM
Derf00
Gentleman's Relish

Con, expensive AF to fix if it's out of warranty if/when it has issues.
Old 11-28-2017, 05:08 PM
proeagles
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Derf00
Con, expensive AF to fix if it's out of warranty if/when it has issues.
They are all expensive to fix, doesn't matter.
Old 11-28-2017, 05:59 PM
Urambo Tauro
3rd Gear Member

I don't know much about them, but I can't help but think that more gears equals more shifting, and more shifting equals more wear...
Old 11-29-2017, 05:14 PM
proeagles
4th Gear Member

I wouldn't worry about all the more expensive, wear and tear BS. Have you ever kept a car long enough for the trans to go bad? I haven't. The 10 speed is a great transmission and has received great reviews from the Chevy folks who got to try it out first. It keeps the engine in its sweet spot longer giving better performance from a acceleration standpoint and economy. There is always the rowing crowd who think standards are the only way to go but to be honest, a good working automatic will dust a standard all day long.
Old 12-04-2017, 12:07 AM
movielover40
4th Gear Member

Go with automatic.

I was a manual guy for years but you can't beat these new automatics.
Old 12-04-2017, 12:57 PM
Derf00
Gentleman's Relish

Originally Posted by proeagles
I wouldn't worry about all the more expensive, wear and tear BS. Have you ever kept a car long enough for the trans to go bad? I haven't. The 10 speed is a great transmission and has received great reviews from the Chevy folks who got to try it out first. It keeps the engine in its sweet spot longer giving better performance from a acceleration standpoint and economy. There is always the rowing crowd who think standards are the only way to go but to be honest, a good working automatic will dust a standard all day long.
Raises hand....I did. 83K miles and shattered the input shaft taking out the trans pump and the TC...$4K for a remanufactured trans that has OEM and aftermarket upgrades...next? Not an argument against the autos in general but just answering your question. I can only imagine what a 10 speed tranny will/would cost.
Old 12-04-2017, 04:08 PM
Urambo Tauro
3rd Gear Member

I rebuilt the 4R70W in a previous car of mine at 178k, however most of those miles were racked up under previous owner(s). DIY cost: about $500 for a rebuild kit, a couple of hard parts, and some upgrades.

Newer transmissions like these 10 speeds are certainly better at efficiency and power limits, but I don't know much about their rebuild costs. The sheer amount of parts is sure to raise the price of a rebuild, at least on the labor side. Hopefully that rebuild will only require soft parts, but who knows.

I am curious about longevity too. Like many others here, my budget keeps me firmly in the used market, so I'd like to know how these things handle life beyond the warranty period.