General Tech Ask model specific questions in the appropriate category below. All other general questions within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Fuel Air and Spark

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-2017, 07:14 PM
Norlin4.0

Default Fuel Air and Spark

Hey I have been giving it some thought now now I can not just buy a turbo and I won’t because this is my daily 6 banger but I would definitely like a little bit more extra power. We all know the ignition system come from three things fuel air and spark. If I was to buy CAI and a Performance MAF sensor = air. Bigger injectors and probably a stronger fuel pump =fuel. And a better coil pack with cables and better spark plugs= spark. What do y’all think the hp gain would be? If it was up to 20-30 I would do it. But would I need a tune?
Old 12-06-2017, 08:51 PM
Urambo Tauro
3rd Gear Member

Somebody more knowledgeable than I is going to have to chime in, but I'm pretty sure the stock ignition is sufficient unless you start getting into some really big high-rev upgrades. I think I read somewhere that stock coils will support up to 500 hp, but that's obviously just a rule of thumb.

Again, I'm not much of an expert on the matter. But while we're waiting for someone else to comment, why don't you tell us a little more about the car in question? Posting in the "General Tech" implies that this could be anything from an old straight-6 to a modern Cyclone. (You did mention fuel injection though, so I think we can rule out '60s and '70s models...)
Old 12-06-2017, 10:22 PM
Norlin4.0

Default Crap

yeah it is for a 2005 Mustang V6
Old 12-07-2017, 12:29 PM
JimC

Bigger injectors aren't going to do anything - you only need to increase the injectors if you go forced induction because you need more fuel. Naturally aspirated you won't net any gain by a bigger injector.

On the 4.0 V6 the stock plugs, wires, and coil are fine - there are no performance gains changing that (despite what the sellers advertise). Even with forced induction the best plugs are the stock plugs.

Highly doubtful you need to change the fuel pump with a naturally aspirated car too. Even those with force induction rarely need to change it on the 4.0.
Old 12-07-2017, 12:45 PM
Norlin4.0

Default Thanks man

Originally Posted by JimC
Bigger injectors aren't going to do anything - you only need to increase the injectors if you go forced induction because you need more fuel. Naturally aspirated you won't net any gain by a bigger injector.

On the 4.0 V6 the stock plugs, wires, and coil are fine - there are no performance gains changing that (despite what the sellers advertise). Even with forced induction the best plugs are the stock plugs.

Highly doubtful you need to change the fuel pump with a naturally aspirated car too. Even those with force induction rarely need to change it on the 4.0.
how about a CAI and Performance MAF sensor ? Would that do any decent gain? I also did the off-road H pipe dual exhaust conversion with steeda axlebacks sounds nice to me.
Old 12-07-2017, 01:22 PM
JimC

CAI and tune - the tune is where all the power is. Likely no need to change the MAF; rarely changed even for forced induction.
Old 12-07-2017, 01:25 PM
Norlin4.0

Default Thank you

Originally Posted by JimC
CAI and tune - the tune is where all the power is. Likely no need to change the MAF; rarely changed even for forced induction.
I love this forum man you guys are lit
Old 12-07-2017, 02:47 PM
Buck Sergeant
2nd Gear Member

Norlin4.0, I wouldn't change anything except one item. Your car probably came with 3.31 rear gears. If you want to harass the local street warriors, I would install 3.55 rear gears. If you want to go quicker than the speed of light, install 3.73 gears. Both the automatic tranny and 5 speed came with potent first gear ratios. Change the gears to your liking and have a bunch of fun. If you want to run hard, give your ride a good tune-up. A aftermarket programer might help. I like BAMA, but everyone has their own favorite dog with this option. Have fun.
Old 12-07-2017, 02:57 PM
Norlin4.0

Default I know!

Originally Posted by Buck Sergeant
Norlin4.0, I wouldn't change anything except one item. Your car probably came with 3.31 rear gears. If you want to harass the local street warriors, I would install 3.55 rear gears. If you want to go quicker than the speed of light, install 3.73 gears. Both the automatic tranny and 5 speed came with potent first gear ratios. Change the gears to your liking and have a bunch of fun. If you want to run hard, give your ride a good tune-up. A aftermarket programer might help. I like BAMA, but everyone has their own favorite dog with this option. Have fun.
I was going to p a swap or a GT rearend I found at a cheap junk yard and if anything I would rebuild it but I got there too late it was gone. i personally think it’s better to just swap to an 8.8 from a gt than upgrade our 7.5. I will look into it again I’m currently rebuilding my transmission I should be getting my forward clutch piston by the 14th after that is just putting it all back together got new clutches and it’s gonna be a full rebuild that I did myself so at least I’m sure of what I got in my tranny I was going to go with the level 10 savage tranny rebuild but honestly think it’s a waste of money for a v6 on top of that I’m not putting a turbo or supercharger on it like ever but I really would like to get into that gt rearend swap
Old 12-07-2017, 03:50 PM
Buck Sergeant
2nd Gear Member

Norlin 4.0, I agree with the 8.8 upgrade. It is a tough unit and can take much punishment. Also rebuilding the tranny is a smart move. Upgrade it as much as you can afford. This is a critical unit. I think that with the upgraded tranny and 8.8 rear , you will have a very dependable ride.