General Tech Ask model specific questions in the appropriate category below. All other general questions within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

2015 GT - Heat radiating from the inside of car

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2018, 06:44 PM
megahertz

Default 2015 GT - Heat radiating from the inside of car

I have a 2015 Mustang GT. Recently I have felt heat radiating from somewhere inside of the car. I turned off the AC and heating unit, and can still feel a heat coming from somewhere while driving. There isn't any heat coming from the vents.

It feels like it's coming from the AC console area, or gearbox. Upon further testing, I found that when I placed my hand down towards the front passenger area floor, just to the right off the center console I can really feel it being warm.

Clearly there is something wrong, however when I take it to a dealership they say they cant find anything. The car is still under warranty so I want to get this fixed before it turns into a bigger issue.

If anyone has experienced this or can give me some tips to diagnose, it would be much appreciated.
Old 01-09-2018, 09:01 PM
Z28KLR
4th Gear Member

Is this something new or has it always done it? To be quite honest, heat coming from that area is sort of normal if you think about it.... Transmissions get pretty warm during normal operation, and exhaust coming off the engine is routed nearby. My '01 does the same thing, always has. Now if you start smelling melting carpet or something then that's a bit excessive, but as you describe the issue I don't see anything particularly alarming.
Old 01-10-2018, 10:15 AM
megahertz

Thanks for your feedback. I actually don't remember feeling it before. I had a problem with a part of the AC, that I had to take it in for service, and they had to replace the part. So I'm thinking it may be something related to that. I also find it strange that it's only coming from one side.
Old 01-11-2018, 09:43 PM
tw1234
1st Gear Member

I'm wondering if you had work done to the A/C that required the dash/console or heating system opened in the cabin, if they forgot to reassemble correctly or left some insulating material out.

Last edited by tw1234; 02-17-2018 at 08:49 AM. Reason: wrong model year
Old 01-12-2018, 07:58 AM
Buck Sergeant
2nd Gear Member

megahertz, reminds me of when I went over a hump and pushed the exhaust pipe close to the floorboard. While your checking the insulation thing throw a eye on the clearance that exhaust pipe has from the floorboard.
Old 01-12-2018, 09:47 AM
megahertz

Thanks for the feedback guys!

@tw1234 I did have some A/C work done. A part broke and they had to replace it. So yea that's what I was thinking.

@Buck_Sergeant thanks for the tip. I'm going to take it into a different dealership and have them look at that.
Old 01-25-2018, 09:32 PM
427Impala
1st Gear Member

I might suggest if they find nothing, add some good quality heat mat to the trans tunnel, and check that any opening in the shifter area has a proper boot.
Old 01-26-2018, 09:36 AM
megahertz

They didn't find anything again. They said I need to call Ford directly and they would send out a field engineer. Part of the problem is also that they said all they could do is keep the car running in neutral for a while and that they could not take the car out on the road because there super busy. So in my mind, if they cant replicate the same conditions, then how can they expect to notice it and figure out and fix it. I notice it only when driving. I will check the heat mat suggestion.

Also, I'm not the biggest car guy, but the service advisor told me that the car puts out the same amount of heat as in neutral as it is when its driving. To me that sounded crazy. I would imagine when the car is churning it out 2, 3, 4+ RPM it has to be generating more heat, then when its just sitting idle in neutral.
Old 01-26-2018, 12:07 PM
Buck Sergeant
2nd Gear Member

Megahertz, I may be out in left field, but this is a interesting TSB. Maybe the extra heat is exhaust related. Just a guess. Summary: FORD/LINCOLN: TSB CONTAINS AN OWNER NOTIFICATION LETTER. SELECT DOCUMENT SEARCH BUTTON BELOW. INADVERTENTLY, SOME VEHICLES FAILS TO HAVE LONG TERM DEFECTS WARRANTY CHART, IN WARRANTY GUIDE, REGARDING RIGHT HAND EXHAUST MANIFOLD. MODEL 2. TSB # SFA-15L01. NHTSA ID # 100058379. Remember, the dealer makes more money if they get you to pay full customer price,on work, than what they are reimbursed from detroit for the same warranty work. Regarding your issue, the hot exhaust heat may be blowing back when the car is moving. Hence, no heat when the car is still.
Old 01-26-2018, 02:13 PM
megahertz

Wow this is interesting. Thanks! I'm definitely going to look into this. My warranty is up this year, so I really want to make sure this gets taken care of ASAP.

Quick Reply: 2015 GT - Heat radiating from the inside of car